Lifehacks from a longevity expert who just died at age 105

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/09/lifehacks-from-a-longevity-exp.html

2 Likes

Goodbye and Godspeed Dr Hinohara.

5 Likes

• Be born with excellent genetics

15 Likes

#1- have that famed Japanese longevity genetics.

2 Likes
  • Be rich, or at least well-off.
9 Likes

he helped many others achieve long lives by popularizing annual medical checkups

Well…

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009009.pub2/abstract

Authors’ conclusions

General health checks did not reduce morbidity or mortality, neither overall nor for cardiovascular or cancer causes, although the number of new diagnoses was increased. Important harmful outcomes, such as the number of follow-up diagnostic procedures or short term psychological effects, were often not studied or reported and many trials had methodological problems. With the large number of participants and deaths included, the long follow-up periods used, and considering that cardiovascular and cancer mortality were not reduced, general health checks are unlikely to be beneficial.

Since annual checkups are not free, I would argue that they likely constitute a waste of limited resources that could be used better treat people in other ways. People sure do like them though and that has some value.

2 Likes

If I were my list, I would add:

Not everyone lives a long life. Be ready to let go at all times, without a fuss. Whatever is left undone will either be taken care of, or no longer matter.

10 Likes

George Burns broke the century mark after decades of subsisting primarily on gin and cigars.

Though I guess that would count as a “simple diet.”

13 Likes

Not only that, I can’t seem to find it now but I’m sure I read an interview of another scientist studying longevity containing the quote “he laughed nervously then said if you really want to live a long life, stay the hell away from doctors”.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s just genetics… When I spent a year Japan, because of the daily walking needed to get to the nearest station and then again at your destination - a couple of times a day (approximately 1 hr total) I found myself slimming down, probably 30 lbs within a couple of months. The food is generally healthier, more fish and veg, and smaller portions than in North America, though I didn’t make any conscious choice about diet changes.

6 Likes

I feel like “except at border crossings” would be a valuable inclusion here.

(Source: My last Spring Break road trip)

5 Likes

From what I’ve seen, genetics has far more to do with longevity than lifestyle. That said, eating a balanced diet, stretching and remaining active are worth doing because they make whatever time you have more satisfying, not because they’ll tack years onto your telomeres.

3 Likes

Diet and exercise certainly is a factor. But you can eat well and exercise and still die early. My dad is in great shape for his age and active and almost keeled over last month from heart attack.

Then you can have people who drink, smoke, and do other risky behaviors and just won’t die. Genetics certainly is one of the dominating factors to how long you will live.

Many parts of Europe also has areas conductive to more walking and better diets, but they don’t have as high of a life expectancy.

Mine begin and end with this sage advice.

Poop, and poop often.

5 Likes

For example: Keith Richards

2 Likes

Oh man, I’m going to live to like […]* 200…

*Sorry, had to freshen up…

1 Like

Pro tip: do not die.

1 Like

It ain’t made out’a gold, so get rid of it.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, is there a part of the list missing? There is nothing about how much time you can spend online.

3 Likes

Pretty sure all the chemicals he put in his body has resulted in some sort of mummification.

1 Like