Light turnout for Trump inauguration

Not yet. Give him time. It’s happened before.

11 Likes

I initially read that as ‘punch them an awful lot’ and thought you were making a wonderfully twisted joke.

For the record: if you have to stoop to your opponent’s level, you’ve already won the fistfight and can move onto the next one.

4 Likes

You made a statement of moral equivalence between me and a committed Neo-Nazi.

Sorry, but you’re digging.

I’m curious as to what you think of my grandfather, then.

I believe that Sophie Scholl tried that, back in the '40s…

What’s that saying…? Oh, yeah. “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” I refuse to be fooled twice by genocidal fascists. If they say that they wish to genocide people, well, then I’ll believe them.

13 Likes

Others may have been thinking about it though; or at least hoping that a major muscle gets sprained from all the mental gymnastics being employed here.

3 Likes

I reckon it’s best if you still punch them. Just so they know, as well as you.

5 Likes

I don’t want to fight anyone, but I know from experience that I can’t sit and wait for permission to defend myself. People like myself are already being attacked.

I’d rather be alive to ask for forgiveness after the fact instead of dead because I was worried about upsetting someone who claimed to be an ally.

16 Likes

In fact, I’ll go further.

I want every Nazi to be just as afraid to open his mouth as they would have it be for a Muslim or Jew, or a Mexican, or a trans person, or some poor gay kid who’s trying to come to terms with their sexuality. Or anyone else who feels oppressed by that moron’s words. In my world, if you want to get respect and consideration, you need to earn it. In the meantime, I will be happy to bring violence and oppression to those who would call it down on others.

Yes, I recognize that I am somewhat morally in the wrong here. And I have always admired and respected people who believe in non-violent protest. But I am comfortable with an astonishing level of violence, and I will bring it upon my enemies if I feel they deserve it.

“Never again” isn’t just a slogan.

21 Likes

Never kick a man when he’s down. Unless he’s a Nazi. Then you should step away to allow others to have a turn.

-Jack Handley’s embittered twin

20 Likes

You have a real talent for putting words in people’s mouths. Maybe you should stick to actual quotes.

1 Like

It really is. So perhaps you should find the part of bibliophile’s post where he says he’s going to murder people.

4 Likes

Not accepted.

Fixed that for you.

10 Likes

Agreed.

I laughed when the racist got punched in his grill, because it’s funny and I believe in schadenfreude AND karma.

That doesn’t mean that it wasn’t assault or that I believe violence is “always” the answer.

But the problem with supporting a hateful ideology that seeks to oppress and denigrate others is that you done already ‘started some shit.’

21 Likes

I just want to give an internet hug to skeptic, redesigned and all pacifists out there.
I want to live in a world where violence against anyone is not tolerated. I would also like to live in a world without fear and hate because I think they promote violence.

I respect pacifism, but I also know I would resort to violence when people I care about are threatened. Some people here feel justifiably threatened by nazi/alt-right/kkk and I can understand the need to fight back.

Stay strong all. Internet hugs for all who need them.

21 Likes

Which is why much of this discussion if focused on the question of “is Nazi-punching actually a wrong thing to do?”

4 Likes

it’s okay, i’m ducking out of this conversation altogether. :slight_smile:
this entire thread has depressed me too much to continue

This thread is depressing you?

Better hold onto your hat for the next four years, then; methinks the last things you’ll be likely to see en masse are ‘tolerance’ and ‘pacifism’.

12 Likes

yeah, i guess i’m a delicate snowflake? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i was holding onto the hope that BB would be my support and safe haven, which is why i’m feeling glum right now and debating my involvement here.

3 Likes

I understand that and empathize with it–if not, perhaps, for the same reasons.

I respect your right to hold pacifism as an ideological tenet. But, under these circumstances, I honestly just think that you’re naive, and I hope that you can eventually recognize that there are unreasonable people out there who make it such that, if they get into power, the only way to deal with them requires violence–and, believe me, I’m not happy about that.

I find it interesting how much our attitudes are mirroring each other on this…

13 Likes

Not my wording, or opinion.

Do you need others to be in complete agreement with your opinions in order for BB to be a supportive haven?

You shouldn’t be, at least not in my opinion.

You have valid views, you’re generally articulate in expressing them, and you help advance the discourse; personally I often find your comments well worth reading, even if I don’t always agree with them.

20 Likes

no, i know, my joke about myself! :slight_smile:

no. i appreciate intelligent debate. just feeling disconnected on some very core ideals/values. there are certain things that help me identify “my tribe” so to speak and ‘tolerance’ and ‘pacifism’ are two of them. hard to explain.

thanks, same! :+1:

13 Likes