Light turnout for Trump inauguration

Also interesting. This guy tries to refute the viral image, which mostly works, but then he completely fabricates some of his evidence.

He states that the giant image shows the crowd stretching “all the way back to the base of the Washington Monument” which is “1.5 miles” away. I just Google Earthed it and the Memorial is only a mile away from the podium. Furthermore the picture only shows up to the white temporary building. That’s only .76 of a mile.

So if you’re trying to refute falsehoods with more falsehoods, where the hell does that leave us?

sigh

4 Likes

OK. The more I compare both images, I do see the same gaps in both. Just the perspective changes a lot when viewed from near-ground level.

5 Likes

You can also count the sections, and see that the picture only goes back to about the point where the “viral” image shows the crowd petering out. It’s entirely possible that the sparse groups of people that can be seen in the earlier photos in the sections further back were able to move in closer to fill in space.

In either event, there’s been a clear statement of the time of day of both pictures in the original comparison photo. Haven’t found the timestamp for the gigapixel image yet, so a good comparison is difficult…

1 Like

You know what. I reverse my skepticism. All the gaps are accounted for. We also know the timing of the giant CNN pic because it clearly shows Trump on the mic.

(Here’s the best I could do with only MS Paint at work.)

12 Likes
8 Likes

Levi was amazing.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Like, a deadset ISIL supporter? Fuck yeah it is. Some shouty wanker with a Quran and a lack of focus on certain bits of it? Nope.

In terms of advocating for genocide and then carrying out that genocide, Daesh-holes are a really good example of the sort of people who frankly, need punching and have a huge amount in common with Nazis. The main difference between those assholes and Nazi assholes is that one would be investigated and jailed before they even got to do their equivalent of Heiling and Hittling down the street.

14 Likes

I think it does look like there are a bit more at the time of the gigapixel image, but you’re right, there are gaps in there that could match up. Good eye.

Always good to be skeptical of our own skepticism! It’s a shame the newer image is on such a low angle, it looks like almost the same location as the other shots Trump has pointed to in order to “disprove” the high-angle shot.

1 Like

Holy fucksocks; I think I just may fluv you for that one.

Agreed.

As I posted yesterday:

#Don’t start no shit, won’t be no shit.

But if someone decides that they DO want to start something, then my response is NOT to “turn the other cheek”; that shit didn’t work out so well for MLK, and I have no intentions of being a martyr.

16 Likes

13 Likes

Just noticed that there seems to be a rightward bias (color me surprised) in the Drumpf crowd distribution, so the split frame comparison actually benefits Herr Drumpf.

5 Likes

I find it vaguely amusing to compare any of these inauguration crowds to the attendance for Dr. King’s “I have a dream” speech in August 1963. I can’t find the exact same picture, but there’s this:

13 Likes

I am a pacifist at heart… but I have been unable to makeup my mind on the “Punch a Nazi” dilemma, and I am unlikely to anytime soon. Vice recently aired the first episode of their “HATE THY NEIGHBOR” series and it immediately drew me back to this discussion, specifically three individuals showcased within it: Dan, the state leader of the NSM chapter of Pennsylvania, his wife, and the founder of NSM.

Dan is portrayed in an empathetic manner, he did not seem like someone I would ever punch. His wife straight up called for the genocide of all Jews, especially the children. I’m not sure I would punch her, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t complain if someone else did. The founder of NSM is a straight up dumbshit who I would be very tempted to punch.

I highly recommend you watch it, especially the last 6 minutes or so, and remember: "Not everyone who voted for Donald Trump is a Nazi, but all the Nazis shown in this series voted for Donald Trump."

EDIT: Let me add that Dan’s pastor is someone I would aspose to be. He is chill as fuck and is definitely not a Nazi but tries to help Dan improve his life anyways. I wish I could be that… forgiving.

11 Likes

I am in a similar boat. I’d never punch a Nazi unless I were doing so in a position that I knew I was preventing a greater harm (say, the Nazi was about to curb stomp someone or something). Still I’m not at the point that I can condemn the Nazi puncher. The question of the ethical way to deal with people who not only hold loathsome views and work to advocate harm to others, but aren’t swayed by any appeals to reason, sense of shame, or sense of humanity is a real bitch of a problem.

10 Likes

Not sure how I missed this before. Trump, in front of the CIA, claimed that God stopped the rain at the moment his inaugural speech started, despite the fact that millions of people watched him being rained upon. I can’t believe how delusional he is.

12 Likes

Did you catch the other bit of that speech, where he repeatedly suggested that the US should have looted Iraq when it had the chance, but “we might get another chance”?

10 Likes

Where is the Winter Banana?
Just look for it :stuck_out_tongue:

Please tell me this is a real comic cover. I have no idea what it true/real anymore.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. The hubris of that line didn’t shock me as much, since he’s been talking about going back to Iraq to loot the oil as ‘spoils of war’ for years. I was a little surprised he brought it up to the CIA, rather than as bedroom talk with Steve Bannon, though.

4 Likes
5 Likes