Like Strike part II

8 Likes

I am fine with civil unrest, thatā€™s a Boing Boing family value. My main beef is that nobody started a proper meta topic about the protest. So it was like civil unrest by playing your stereo really loud in your room to piss your parents off. I had no idea what was going on until somebody peripherally mentioned me in a totally unrelated topic.

If you are going to protest, at least create a manifesto meta topic about your protest. Play your music loud in your room, thatā€™s fine, but also explain why you are doing so, so that your idiot parents can have a fighting chance of understanding the problem.

(Also, as others have pointed out, weekend protests are going to be hard to process, unless you want us to put aside the time we usually allocate to our families and children to deal with this.)

16 Likes

Youā€™ll get over it.

2 Likes

I was barely aware of it. And by the time I was, it was late Sunday night. Next time, create a meta topic.

3 Likes

I guess you missed the @-mentions by both Mindy and JLW on Thurs night / Friday morning.

ĀÆ \_ (惄) _/ĀÆ

2 Likes

On related product feedback, I suggest making the Out of Love badge able to be awarded multiple times. That would quantify who hits the cap and how often.

(It may not be so helpful here now that the limits been raised, but strikes me it could help future discourse instances earlier identify and address some of the pain points some users have found here).

EDIT: I think this might have been suggested before so let me know if I just Meliana Trumpā€™ed someone elseā€™s idea.

7 Likes

Can you point to specific posts? I checked my notifications and no such notifications arrived, I loaded my notifications page, scrolled down, see literally zero notifications from jlw or I thought you said chgoliz, not sure about mindy. There was a temporary problem on Friday that would have affected Sidekiq and thus notifications, possibly.

Either way, a new meta topic is essential.

2 Likes

NEVER, EVER LEAVE US!!! Thatā€™s how! :wink:

9 Likes

Oi!!!

10 Likes

I donā€™t expect my voice to be heard in this conversation, but I have to nitpick one thing: there was no official organized protest.

One member stopped using likes and started posting Lizā€™s avatar instead, and it caught on with some others; myself included.

9 Likes

Noooo! We are your family!

10 Likes

Iā€™m not gonna like anybody ever again. Or eat ice cream. Or have fun. That will show all of you!!! Youā€™ll all regret this!!!1!!!

/s

:smiley:

7 Likes

Yes! A meta topic could have also served as an organization point to recruit others.

5 Likes

Did it work, or not? How long did it take?

3 Likes

This I understand and agree with. Worked long enough in the (derailing, leave it, name it IT)ā€¦
I also know that listening and following up is a hard part.
But also:

That is true. Did not get the whole story, different time zone. But summertime bad sleeper, awake from three, four, till five something in the morning. This is what I saw.

But again, family time is important. Weekends are important, and I really do appreciate your efforts, coding, work, etc. Thanks!

9 Likes

I did try to keep discussion to what I thought was an appropriate thread and I figured discussion was happening somewhere I didnā€™t have access to. Otherwise, I would have started a thread myself. Apologies. :frowning2:

2 Likes

No one asked anyone else to do anything, though; which is probably why no meta post was made.

It started spontaneously in a discussion and snowballed from there.

At the end of the day most members appreciate this site, and everyone who makes it happen.

I stated several times that I personally didnā€™t expect any of our antics to actually work; I was merely showing solidarity for one of my favorite members of the community.

I was happily surprised to have underestimated the compassion of the staff on this issue.

I can admit it when Iā€™m wrong; thatā€™s one of my more endearing qualities, or so Iā€™ve been told.

14 Likes

I dunno why we didnā€™t start a meta topic about it. I mean, the issueā€™s not new. I vaguely remembered (and then had to go look it up) this post from a year and a half ago wherein Jason seemed to imply that this would be something best addressed to you and Sam as opposed to BB staff:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/suggestion-to-increase-the-like-limit-for-those-of-us-who-are-regular-no-poop-jokes-pls/41006/38?u=donald_petersen

I see now that I misinterpreted his meaning (I think now he was talking about the actual code, not the policy). But I guess some of us thought the idea had been raised and shot down in the past, maybe as just a minor complaint from a small handful of users. At any rate, we knew it was a long-standing sore point, so when it actually got to be too much for some people to bear, we figured a more drastic call for help was warranted.

We thought weā€™d asked nicely for it in the past. I, for one, apologize for the misunderstanding. And Iā€™m grateful that the issue was resolved.

13 Likes

I clicked that and got " Sorry, you donā€™t have access to that topic! ". Source of my confusion there.

Same here. (The endearing part, wellā€¦ Iā€™ll leave that for others to say). At this point Iā€™ve done it enough times, that itā€™sā€¦well, not easyā€”itā€™s never easyā€”but I guess Iā€™ve divested enough of my ego for a due apology to seem like the reasonable decision after a string of unreasonable ones.

2 Likes