Limits to trickle-down: Trump's tax-cut "boom" fizzles

When will Americans ever get a clue, your value as a human being is measured by one single metric, your personal net worth. And just about the time you think that has FINALLY gone above zero as your assets surpass your debts you find out that you forgot to include your household’s share of the 21 trillion dollar national debt. (Equals $165,000 per household)

2 Likes

Yeah - no Americans understand other values…

8 Likes

income-inequality-tower

23 Likes

I really hope this shocks absolutely no one. Of course they got their momentary headline just after the cut, and it has all been forgotten by now. The pain always comes with a bit of a time delay, and this country is just amazingly bad at frigging remembering what happened long enough to assign blame correctly. The fallout will be very easy to blame on the dems, because Il Douche will say that’s how it is and his trumpkins will not question him. That how it works. Now, someone, please tell me I am wrong? Please?

8 Likes

Yes. Yes they did.

3 Likes

I always thought we should include every business (including the countless shell corporations) in that math. After all, corporations are people, too.

2 Likes

This is a stupid way to think about this.

Oh wow, did economists underplay how much a tax cut was going to cost? Please don’t tell me that the same financial experts who intentionally defrauded us in the run up to the 2008 crash can’t be trusted!

9 Likes

Sing along! “Everything old is new again!”

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure actual economists said it was all going to end in tears. It was the hype men in the admin who said cutting revenue will increase revenue.

5 Likes

Is this “capitalism is dehumanizing and cares only about money not about human worth”, or is this actually advocating valuing humans purely in terms of wealth?
Put me down for the former.

4 Likes

Everyone with economic sense told REAGAN that was exactly what would happen, they just got shouted down. I doubt anybody with economic sense was even able to get in a word edgewise with Trump.

11 Likes

I took the original comment as sarcastic; a dig on our moneyed “betters” who are out there every day doing their best to fuck up the world for the rest of us.

2 Likes

Like betting on the Washington Generals!

The Harlem Globetrotters have to lose one game. Its statistical probability!

4 Likes

“Things were going GREAT! The Greatest! But then Pelosi and the Dems shut down MY government, and now look what’s happened!”

I mean … he owns the shutdown, the cause and effect makes no sense whatsoever, and the timeline is way off, but still … I think we’re done here? It’s time to move on to the next crisis, no?

4 Likes

Supply-side econ never worked, it was always a post-hoc justification for revanchist dis-investment in the wake of the Civil Rights era.

4 Likes

Especially when the initial “trickle down” was a handful of companies touting one time bonuses for employees, while most quietly paid a quick dividend for investors.

Instead of the “predicted” wage increases. Shit failed in the first week.

4 Likes

“Voodoo economics”, George H. W, Bush in one of his sane moments.

6 Likes

It always surprised me how quickly trickle down showed it’s massive downsides back then, and “trickle down” turned into a pejorative.

And of course how fast that faded and “supply side” became a respectable ecconomic position. I remember my head spinning in highschool when we seemed to go from mocking it to “it works!” Inside of 6 months.

1 Like

Whatever, dividends are a thing of the past, that money went to stock buybacks.

2 Likes