Lindsay Graham promises a National ban on abortion if the GOP wins in November

Originally published at: Lindsay Graham promises a National ban on abortion if the GOP wins in November | Boing Boing

7 Likes

47 Likes

35 Likes

Hang Up Flip Phone GIF by Motorola

21 Likes

Seems just weeks ago that Lindsay Graham was insisting that issues like abortion and same-sex marriage should be left to the states (because he was indeed saying that just weeks ago).

42 Likes

Hence, him being a hypocrite.

29 Likes

There last big issue was the wall. They had 2 years with the President and both houses and they didn’t even introduce a single bill to build the wall. I don’t know if they are just ignorant or liars, maybe both.

8 Likes

Surely Biden would veto this?

Not to mention that more than a slim Senate majority would be needed, as Collins and Murkowski would not fall in line on this

14 Likes

They got their destructive tax cuts, through, though, and continue to use “the wall” as a wedge issue via racist dog whistling. They also ensured the death of about a million Americans by their inactions and active stirring up of conspiracy theories.

30 Likes

He absolutely would.

If they win the House and Senate, they will pass a bill that will then be vetoed by Biden. They will then not have enough votes to override that veto.

They will then use that to try and draw in conservative voters and donors in 2024.

29 Likes

They don’t seem to like the looks of this on the right side, either.

15 Likes

Headline says the promise is an abortion ban, not a bill passed without sufficient gumption to override a veto. (Which in the Senate is 67 votes!! And the last time either party had enough votes to override a presidential veto in the house on a straight party-line vote appears to be the D side in the 1979-1981 congress.)

More likely strategy would be to get/keep majorities in 2025-2027 session and also win the presidency.

2 Likes

Collins would vote for it, she’d just be concerned.

Edited: Changed “signed” to “vote for”

15 Likes

Well sure, Lindsay never has to worry about an unwanted pregnancy.

11 Likes

Yep, this is the strategy.

But, I hope that Republicans loudly proclaim that they will attempt a national ban if they win the House and Senate. Keep it up.

13 Likes

Indeed, here is Graham shrieking, “DON’T VOTE FOR US!”

16 Likes

The complicating thing here is that he is now advocating for a national ban on abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy- which is actually more liberal than the rules that many states have outlawing it. So yes, he is still a monster, but it is more insidious and less stupid than what this makes it seem.

1 Like

That’s certainly in line with the latest projections:

22 Likes

I don’t think a national law will impact states that have stricter rules, just the ones that have laws on the book that are not punishing women for being sluttty sluts sluts… I will guess the law does not preclude MORE restrictive state laws, but does preclude LESS restrictive state laws… So, yeah, more insidious maybe the right term.

28 Likes

Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

16 Likes