Lindsey Graham calls for assassination of Vladimir Putin: "The only way this ends is for somebody in Russia to take this guy out."

yeah. especially given they have plenty of nuclear weapons. civil wars and nukes don’t mix well.

i get that people want putin gone. the conditions where assassination is the only way to get rid of a leader means the possible outcomes are all bad.

if we’re wishing for ponies, better to hope the people of russia themselves grab power in a peaceful uprising.

5 Likes

Yeah, this feels like more the same dumb recklessness I’ve come to expect from the lunatic wing of the party - which I guess Lindsey now fully embraces in thought and deed. He’s got the same brain worms now, I guess.

Yeah (I still think the same thing about Trump), but the context - and consequences - are extremely different… You saying it wasn’t going to potentially start a nuclear war if it happened, for example.

5 Likes

But their situations are so completely different as to be a worthless comparison. They were both leaders of Russia/USSR, that’s about all they have in common. And their opposition has little in common either. Their goals were completely different too.

Gorbachev was essentially the one who removed himself from office, with his policies. Putin will never willingly leave.

3 Likes

No. He’s not.

HRC discusses why it’s not only a bad idea, but also illegal.

If a well-known national figure is advocating for his assasination, it gives Putin pretext.

and it was not a great idea, and caused decades of problems in the middle east and LA.

Which Putin will lean into and use to his advantage. Few people benefit from the US centric prespective then Putin, as he can blame us for whatever and have plausible deniability.

13 Likes

Not sure if the remora is on the payroll, but I can definitely see him taking a suggestion from someone on Putin’s payroll…

3 Likes

In a move reeking of desperation, the Russians knowingly shelled and set afire a nuclear plant 6x larger than Chernobyl – extortion by atrocity. Thus, Putin declared war on everyone downwind of the incipient meltdown. Ignorant of a de facto World War III, American legislators clutch their pearls and decry Senator Graham’s call for assassination.

Stalin’s inner circle, at least, was wiser and poisoned him before he could drop nukes on the US.

2 Likes

The stength of the propaganda is astonishing.

I was listening to an interesting story on BBC world service this morning about Ukrainians who have Russian parents that they cant convince a war is actually happening. Even seeing video clips from their children they have the narrative that any attack is actually Ukrianian Nazis not Russians so ingrained they dont beleive their own children.

I hope the younger generations are better informed but people who get their news from Russian state media are living on a different planet.

8 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t object to someone disposing of Putin, but whatever happens, I can’t think of any realistic good outcome for this whole mess he’s already created.

Maybe positive side effects like a more united EU, hopefully. But even then, this unification would be paid for with thousands of dead people, a destroyed country and further global destabilization, and that may be just the beginning.

Fucking piece of shit.

6 Likes

No shit! Is he trying to help Putin, or just so fucking dumb he doesn’t realize comments like this from a US senator play right into Putin’s hands?

7 Likes

Yeah, I read that story as an article. From a lot that I’ve read, many of the soldiers didn’t even know that they were in Ukraine. This informed a lot of my comments above because I don’t see the Russian people rising up en mass and if there is any sort of growing resistance, it will be violently crushed not only by the police, but by the people themselves. I mean, how are they even going to know that their economic collapse is all Putin’s fault?

7 Likes

When Empty G Calls You A Loon, You Are A Loon
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., called Graham’s remarks “dangerous” and “unhinged.”

Even a blind pig manages to find an acorn every now & then…

Maybe someone should explain to Lindsey that not only is his suggestion legally questionable, it is also unwise. If you advocate for assassination of public officials, you are also painting a target on your own back.

That sounds familiar, somehow… just can’t quite put my finger on it…

13 Likes

Let’s airdrop Lindsey on the Kremlin and let him do it.

7 Likes

Lots of stuff on LG’s normalization list.

4 Likes

I have no problem with the Russians putting a target on Graham’s back in response.

Please Mr. Putin, can you do us that little favor?

3 Likes

Can we just put them both in the Thunderdome?

8 Likes

Maybe reserve a room at the roach motel. They check in but don’t check out.

1 Like

This person was and is considered a front runner for Trump’s second term vice presidency. He’s the ranking committee member for the us senate budget committee and is widely expected to be given multiple headlining committee assignments if the republicans win the senate. It would not shock me greatly to see him elected to be senate majority leader, and thus in charge of the senate calendar.

He’s not a nobody. This would be similar to someone like one of Putin’s generals or duma members calling for the assassination of Biden.

6 Likes

Come On Reaction GIF

16 Likes

Animated GIF

say hi to pootie poots.

11 Likes

21 Likes