List of catacombs to explore around the world

Originally published at: List of catacombs to explore around the world | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It’s a bit of a long shot, but if you’re lucky there might be some old coins! I hear crypt currency is a big thing these days.

17 Likes
8 Likes

I really want to go to that one. My family is from Prague so I want to go to the Czech Republic someday.

I had planned to go to a catacombs in Italy, but when we got there it was closed for renovations. Doh!

7 Likes

5 Likes

awkward canadian GIF by CBC

5 Likes

Touring the Paris catacombs deeply affected me, maybe permanently. So many nameless bones – now a lot of days I think that I’m just a skeleton-building factory that happens to have occasional opinions.

4 Likes

Nottingham has loads of tunnels under it as well. I’ve never been to them, or indeed, Nottingham, but I’d like to.

3 Likes

I like the labyrinths of hyperion, myself.

2 Likes

Mark Twain wrote about a similar one he visited in his book The Innocents Abroad.

Closer to my home, I thought it was funny that the new Los Angeles Cathedral includes a crypt under the main cathedral structure that has earthquake base isolation. (It sits on some gigantic rubber cushions) So the dead folks in that crypt are well protected against earthquakes.

4 Likes

I tried to go to Sedlec Ossuary when we were in Prague. Went to the train station, was completely unable to communicate with the ticket seller with my rudimentary tourist czech+guidebook, so didn’t get to go. At least I had seen the Capuchin Crypt.

I really do think the world would be a better place if everyone were required to tour these sorts of things. Puts it all in perspective…

1 Like

Well, you wouldn’t want to annoy them and wake them up.

1 Like

It does, and one of the oldest pubs in the country, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, which is built into a cliff and has a few tunnels of its own.

Dover has some tunnels under the cliffs from Napoleonic times which were used all the way up to WW2 and they are spooky to explore.

4 Likes

If somewhere has been inhabited for more than about a hundred years, chances are there’s human remains buried there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.