Listen the newly-discovered killer original demo of The Doors' "Riders on the Storm"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/09/02/listen-the-newly-discovered-killer-original-demo-of-the-doors-riders-on-the-storm.html

9 Likes

Well cool. A great find!

4 Likes

Cocktail music is cool

3 Likes

I guess some will say they’re great
Jim’s insipid lazy rhymes I just hate

4 Likes

It’s fashionable to mock The Doors these days but I loved their music, saw them live twice, and hated Oliver Stone’s terrible movie about them almost as much as Stone hated The Doors.

6 Likes

It is missing that signature keyboard cascade that really defines the song for me.
Maybe it’s because practicing that very bit is what got me a spot in a band in 1979!

13 Likes

Got you squirmin like a toad, eh?

8 Likes

Very nice alternate play, the vocals were in good form, as Jim got towards the end his voice was getting ragged out.

6 Likes

Mayhap you should have found
another article on which your wisdom to expound

3 Likes

Yeah, 'boros ‘n’ whiskey’ll have that effect.

ETA: A box set of remasters were released for the 40th anniversary of their first LP, and they’re also well cool. I found the Japanese edition. Some of the quieter tracks are brought closer to the fore - some vocal, some instrumental - and it makes listening to them very interesting indeed. The discs also have other cool alt takes & demos, much better than the usual reissue demo fare.

3 Likes

It’s also missing Morrison’s whispered overdub, which was the last thing he ever recorded.

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

It pays to keep all that ancient equipment running. Don’t throw out the reel-to-reel.

1 Like

I always forget how much I like this song, any and all versions of it, from The Doors to Lorne Greene. I suppose Pat Boone could have fucked it up, but it’s a great song all around.

3 Likes

Under rated crooner. Really smoooooooth.

I used to always put on Siouxsie Sioux records on 33, she was a Morrison fan and when you slow her down she sounds really like him.

One of my favourites was I found a 12" of Right Now by the Creatures in a charity shop in the 90s. It’s an old Mel Tormé song and slow it down it sounds like Morrison could have done a stint in Vegas like Fat Elvis. Except better.

Also, put on the b side of Dear Prudence (Tattoo) on 33. I knew Tricky had been playing those records slowed down already before he did a cover of it.

6 Likes

I was in college watching a local cover band (who were pretty damn good) and in the middle of a different song, which I simply cannot remember right now, the keyboardist played that cascade. I was right in front of him and mouthed “The Doors?”. He just smiled and kept on playing. A small moment, but something that has stuck in my head over the years.

4 Likes

Ohhhhh
I thought you said The Killers covered The Doors’ “Rider’s On The Storm”
This is much less interesting.

Yeah - not ashamed to say I took that major-scaled version and then swingified it just to see… and it was kind of cool in a rather wrong way. :wink:
Sadly, the swingify site is now defunct. Someone should bring it back.
Still, I have that Riders on the Storm version filed away for posterity.

ETA Swingify seems to still be there - wouldn’t load on Brave but did eventually load on Safari. I recommend Swingifying Riders on the Storm major-scaled. :wink:
http://www.musinformatics.com/swingify

4 Likes

Hate is a strong word… I’m finding the mix of dumb poetry and casual misogyny grinds my gears.

“Girl you gotta love your man” has always sticked in my craw.