Listen to Natalie Merchant tell the origin story of "Verdi Cries"

Originally published at: Listen to Natalie Merchant tell the origin story of "Verdi Cries" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

So you’re telling me this was…25 years ago??? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I used to love 10,000 Maniacs, but now her lyrics seem so facile. With very few exceptions (such as My Mother the War) the songs don’t hold up for me.

So, you’re saying the lyrics to this song are facile? I’d be fascinated to know what songs meet your exacting standards…

1 Like

Yeah, I know. Time flies, etc. I still wear my 10,000 Maniacs Blind Man’s Zoo tee shirt, as well as those from Belly, Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Lush…
So many bands over so many years.

1 Like

Yes, the lyrics sound like they’re written by a pretentious 8th grader. Give me PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen or Kate Bush any day.

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but TBH I really think her voice sounds awful. I have very broad tastes in music, but she doesn’t fit in there anywhere for me. This is of course all just my personal opinion - if you like her, more power to you and her.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.