Listen to this snippy exchange between an Aer Lingus pilot and New York City air traffic control

pic1736450

Anyone else play this back in the day?

5 Likes

I can’t remember the exact details, but here’s the gist of a tale that tickled me. A US Navy ship was passing a Royal Navy ship and decided to comment on their ally’s odd name.

“HMS Terrible? What kind of a name is that for ship?”

“Who the fuck is Wayne E. Meyer, and does he know you’ve stolen his boat?”

5 Likes

Those, my good man, are fighting words around these parts.

1 Like

That 1st screen looks like it could’ve been a TRS-80… I don’t remember this game but I most certainly would’ve played it!

I think someone here told me about flightradar24.com. It shows every current flight (maybe not down to small private Cessnas, etc.) and it’s like knocking over an anthill and watching the activity that ensues. Hubs like Dubai, or even Addis Ababa nowadays, look like magnetic poles, with the planes arranged like iron filings around them.

1 Like

if you want to talk about moving parts consider the following rulebook–

the company that made it recommended 5 players per side and estimated it would take 1100-1200 hours to play.

1 Like

Yeah that looks about right, though I played it on an Apple II+. I was just happy to find a screenshot at all for such an old obscure game.

Lol, SPI was notorious for that. I always preferred Avalon Hill, who seemed to care a lot more about if their games were actually playable.

3 Likes

That is because you are WEAK!!! Call yourself a strategy gamer?! :wink:

1 Like

i hear you. most of my war gaming was with the squad leader/advanced squad leader system but i also played a good bit of up front, third reich, and panzerblitz/panzer leader.

i did play a couple of spi games and their napoleonic game, la grande armee, was actually a fairly playable simulation of early 19th century warfare. the other game, freedom in the galaxy, was dreadful.

that said, during the geocities era of web 1.0 (or maybe even 0.1 :wink: ) i ran across a proto-blog that described in loving detail the turn by turn play of a game of campaign for north africa conducted by the author and 5 of his friends with three people on each side. they had gotten about a third of the way through the game when either they ran out of enthusiasm or something.

2 Likes

Flightradar will only show you aircraft with ADS-B transponders. Newer light aircraft will have that equipment, but private owners have been resisting a push from authorities to retrofit their aircraft, due to the cost.

1 Like

I’m not convinced either of them are jerks.
I think they are both professionals who had a difference of opinion.

1 Like

I thought it was clearly obvious. But anyway, here you go. /S

Well, all I can say is I have been posting here for quite a while and my history supports the fact I clearly support labor and Progressive policies. So take that.

What about them? They’re magically delicious!

1 Like

What about Paul Harvey? “Good day!”

I figured it was something like that. Where I live (near DC, and very close to CGS) that’s probably every aircraft, big or small.

Never try to play word games with the Brits. I heard another one, allegedly true.

American: You British are a bunch of stuck up losers who think you’re too good for the rest of the world. Look at me. I’ve got Italian blood, German blood. Spanish blood and Native Indian blood flowing in my veins.

Brit: How very sporting of your mother.

3 Likes

Ow, that’s just nasty! Especially since, as a Brit myself, I’ve probably got Welsh, Viking, Norman, Saxon, Angle, Jute, and lord alone what else possibly swilling around in my veins. We are a mongrel race, and we’ll take your genes and we’ll steal your language too! :wink:

2 Likes

To some. It seemed to me that there was some subsequent confusion, tho. Just tryin’ to help out.

So there was something worse than Panzer Leader…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.