Listen: ZZTop's "Legs" and U2's "Streets Have No Name" are the same song

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/03/the-streets-have-no-legs.html

5 Likes

Geez… I haven’t thought about mashups in a long time. I listened to this one and it turns out, I still hate them. I don’t mind similar types of combined music (like the old Stars on 45 medleys), but mashups just make my brain hurt as I try to resolve one or the other of the songs.

Take two great things and make it into one muddled mess. Genius.

10 Likes

I have to disagree. That sounded like a hot mess to me.

25 Likes

Considering the geographical and musical closeness between Portishead and Tricky and the relatively close release dates in 1995, I think they knew what the other was doing with Wallace Collection’s Daydream Ike’s Rap 2.

8 Likes

I hear “Laurel.”

9 Likes

“Sharp Dressed Man” and “Addicted to Love” are the same song, aren’t they?
Also “Life on Mars” and “Space Oddity.”

4 Likes

Pet Shop Boys did better, 27 years ago, by mashing Streets Have No Name with the Frankie Valli hit, Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You:

19 Likes

You beat me to it :smiley: That is a great cover by a great band. Like any really great cover, it brings something totally different to the original track.

6 Likes

I love mashups but find this particular attempt to be un-listenable.

10 Likes

Wow! That video for the Trickey track is good.

I think I was still a teen when I discovered that KC and the Sunshine Band only had one song - they just swapped out the one line of lyrics, presto, another #1 hit!

4 Likes

You can do this with two country songs.

Which two country songs? Pick two at random!

12 Likes

The question is how much should Marvin Gaye’s estate sue them for?

14 Likes

Apparently you can sing all of Emily Dickinson to the tune of “The Yellow Rose of Texas”.

9 Likes

vs

{OK, it’s a cover… but at exactly the same tempo, but just a different key, and a few snips of Police’s Roxanne and something else…}

“This is the Hour of Le-ead
Remembered, if OUTLIVED —”

Holy moley, you’re right.

3 Likes

Rhythm guitar =/= melody. Similar elements, but not the same song.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this specific video was made so that you could hear how both tracks, playing at the same time, were familiar.

This isn’t a “mashup”.

9 Likes

Re-looking at the OP I see you are correct. Good point.

…also to the tune of “Amazing Grace” and the Gilligan’s Island theme song.

4 Likes