Live-action Cowboy Bebop coming to Netflix

Did anyone ask for a live action version?

I just want more of the anime…

4 Likes

In the Cowboy Bebop vein, with it’s own sense of style, I was always hoping this would get a series order:

1 Like

Tired of japanese cartoons?

3 Likes

Right there with you.

Most animation-to-live action films don’t seem to work out very well.

2 Likes

I would say the spiritual successor is more Samurai Champloo given that it was created and directed by the same guy. Runs many of the same tropes and themes, similar general plot structure. And even repeats and references specific epsiodes. Even Space Dandy takes the same base concept and just turns it into an absurdist parody mapped to a more extreme space opera setting.

But I haven’t seen Wolf’s Rain. Not a big anime guy. Just a big Shinichiro Wantanabe guy.

3 Likes

Samurai Champloo is made by the director of Cowboy Bebop (and written by the writer of both Cowboy Bebop and Wofl’s Rain).

Wolf’s Rain was made by literally everyone else on Cowboy Bebop: producers, studio, writers, music, etc.

1 Like

Yeah but like I said Champloo is almost but not quite the same show in a different setting. And “literally everyone else involved” is basically just the production staff of Sunrise who make an awful lot of stuff that doesn’t much relate.

But like I said haven’t seen it, maybe it’s “spiritually” closet to Bebop than Champloo. But given the close and pretty deliberate similarities between the two that’d be saying a lot.

1 Like

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, holy crap no. It’s a pretty big risk to take something so beloved and translate it to another format. The propensity for backlash is almost as high as the production values need to be.

4 Likes

This is Netflix folks, I’m sure Edward will be played by Wilfred Brimley, and Ein will be an egyptian mau…

Nothing to worry about, I’m sure they won’t F this one up…

2 Likes

popeye and olive

8 Likes

I rest my case.

10 Likes

Oh dear sweet baby Cthulhu, no.

I can’t think of a decent live action anime adaption ever. Even something which should be easy to do live action like Lupin III gets done badly.

At least its not Space Dandy. That series is entirely dependent on animation and its conventions (being turned to swiss cheese)

2 Likes

And live action adaptations of animation haven’t exactly been a huge money maker thus far. Even the financially successful ones aren’t particularly well regarded, and are often technically adaptations of books that were initially adapted as cartoons. I can’t imagine Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland is raking in dough this far after its release. Not even really sure how it got a sequel. And the GiJoe movies didn’t exactly reignite action figure sales.

That list is mostly comics, don’t know why they role them together. But the genuine adaptations of animation in there are mostly things that haven’t come out yet. Notable bombs, and regularly mocked flashes in the pan.

I don’t even know how you’d film that. It’d definitely be a live action Lion King situation “oh they remade it with less interesting but more expensive animation”.

1 Like

giphy

I’m no expert on the show, but what I’ve seen, I’ve loved. And I figure the odds of successfully capturing that lightning-in-a-bottle a second time are astronomically low.

But then, I’m cynical about remakes in general, especially now that they’re the latest fad. It’s not impossible to achieve a decent remake, but if the original is good, why bother? Why not come up with something new instead? ~grumbles under her breath, something about “old days” and “lawns”…~ :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

I’m no expert on the subject (I’ve only dabbled in manga and anime), but the live-action movie of Uzumaki was enjoyable. I recall hearing the manga’s creator liked the movie’s resolution, which was different than the book. But then, it was a book, not an anime, as far as I know. Maybe it’s the exception that proves the rule? I keep meaning to track down the Parasyte movie, but the reviews I saw didn’t think much if it.

2 Likes

I didn’t even realize Uzumaki was a manga adaption.

A major problem with most live action adaptions of anime is they tend to be overly slavish to the look of the original version in a way which doesn’t work well. Added to that the typical time/plot compression for feature films of usually long running serialized works, they tend to be far less enjoyable.

In contrast, every adaption of American comic books makes adjustments/takes liberties to what works better in live action film as a matter of course.

1 Like

Uzumaki made some adjustments too. Most of the work had been published, and it was way too much material. Plus the ending hadn’t come out yet, so they had to make it up themselves. I won’t say it’s a great movie-- more eerie and creepy than actually scary-- but as an adaptation, it was solid.

I haven’t seen a ton of anime or live-action movies, but of all the manga I read when I worked in a bookstore, Uzumaki was one of the best… so I watched the movie. :wink: Junji Ito’s terrific at horror manga!

1 Like

That and the fact Ed is gonna make so many nerds mad because even the creator of the original series pointed out Ed was meant to be non-binary in their gender expression/identity. I’m just waiting for all the trilby wearers to tip their hats obsessively over there being a (canonically) non-binary main character in a TV series.

3 Likes

Cutie Honey was at least vaguely memorable. They tried to go for a “reverse rotoscoping” effect, mapping live action onto the original animation. But even then it wasn’t that great.

I agree most other things are largely forgettable. Maybe GTO – but technically both the anime and the live-action show were adaptations of the manga, I think.

Such a pity nothing ever happened with Monster.

2 Likes

Shinji Aramaki ( Appleseed ) and Kenji Kamiyama ( Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex ) will direct all episodes of the premiere season. Shinichiro Watanabe ( Cowboy Bebop , Samurai Champloo ) is a creative producer.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/29/crunchyroll-and-adult-swim-team-up-for-all-new-blade-runner-black-lotus-anime-series