Live-action "Powerpuff Girls" in the works

Can you even do HIM these days? It’s kind of a problematic character.

1 Like

beat me by about 30 seconds…

3 Likes

Oooh the big red gender-fluid character is evil because they’re confusing to people.

2 Likes

Yeah. That was the charm and coolness of PPG was the juxtoposition of adorable little girls kicking ass.
The “grumpy 20somethings” version seems like it could easily fall into being yet another emo Waif-Fu Like centered story. Which we’ve all seen before.

2 Likes

What a great idea! Following in the grand footsteps of live action Lion King and live action Cats.

2 Likes

I think the only problem with Him is he fell into the bigoted trope of the “sissy villain.” Though some could say Him was actually a mockery/satire of that trope.
But having a genderbending character highlighted in the L-A reboot these days would probably be lauded if done right with casting plus deeper character work than a kids cartoon allowed.

2 Likes

But why?

No.
Fuck no.
Fuck that creatively bankrupt shithole Hollywood that can´t create anything anymore but regurgiate everything that was popular once, and fuck every stupid asshole who thinks this is a good idea.
Leave the Powerpuffs alone. The show was perfect the way it was and it doesn´t need an edgy liveaction movie.

There have been a few good examples of genderfluid/nonbinary characters in kids’ cartoons in the years since Powderpuff Girls aired.

bmo-dancing

Granted, BMO was still “binary” in the sense that the character’s code was comprised of ones and zeroes.

4 Likes

They should have used one of these guitars, too. Missed opportunity.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean if there’s one character with natural crossover potential between the franchises it’s Mojo Jojo…

2 Likes

Pretty much the entire cast of Crystal Gems in Steven Universe could be interpreted that way.

It is the kiddo’s favorite show.

ETA - Tom Kane, voice of the Professor and many other voices, lives in KC.

1 Like

Unsurprising: the internet did it first a LONG time ago. I just googled “Powerpuff girls in real life”…

There’s many more artists’ renditions and cosplay ideas out there. And even a PewDiePie episode.

But shouldn’t a live action be, like, you know, kids?

The premise of the show is they are these cute children with super powers.

I am not holding out much hope (or interest really) that the movie will be anything wonderful.

1 Like

Still waiting for Mojo Jojo meets Joseph Jostar.

1 Like

I was just gonna assume this would be “meh” just like the latest reboot, but seeing someone as high profile as Diablo Cody attached to it actually makes it interesting again.

And it’s not like there hasn’t been odd iterations of the Powerpuff Girls before.
Remember the licensed anime version?

Ugh. I get that the internet has a long tradition of turning every aspect of our culture into someone’s sexual fantasy, but it’s still creepy AF when the subject of such is a cartoon about three Kindergarten-age children.

4 Likes

Any excuse to post Shonen Knife’s theme song.

3 Likes

Oh boy! This looks like it’s gonna be a mess. I’ll watch it. Or try to. I have a soft spot for messes that try to play off nostalgia.

Edited: Just hit me. It might be so bad it’s fun to hate on.