Live in a Tree Stump!

[Read the post]

2 Likes

After years, nay, decades of misreading gig posters of the “U2 Live in Belfast” variety, I am now misreading headlines such as this one the other way.

10 Likes

That looks like some scary charring around the stove-pipe. As much as I love the idea of a stump-house, I wouldn’t want to be in a cedar stump that caught fire. The stuff burns like gasoline.

Then again, it’s pretty easy to evacuate from a one-room house, I guess, so you’d have a chance.

One thing I’ll point out, @RichardKaufman, is that the wood from stumps is not undesirable - it’s just difficult and uneconomical to harvest. Some of the most beautiful wood figuring is found in stumps - but you also find rocks and other saw-destroying materials embedded in them, and the cost of replacing saw teeth is surprisingly high. The taper is not a problem in the finished lumber, but it makes it difficult to feed into a mill. When I sawed a large black walnut stump, using a diesel-powered band mill, I had to trim off the buttresses and saw them separately, and it took literally weeks of work to clean out the bricks and stones from the root ball before I could even begin.

7 Likes

No mention of the Keebler Elves?

1 Like

Sorry, I only eat cookies made by Nabisco.

1 Like
1 Like

Came here to post this. Already done. Ten thousand thanks to you intarweb denizen!

Out here in N CA we have drive thru trees! Some set up as little houses too.

1 Like

This was my favorite book when I was a kid, I read it many times.

As a nice coincidence my family was able to get invitations when the movie premiered at some huge theater in LA in 1969, probably because my father was the Cubmaster of a local Cub Scout pack. I think it was the first time I realized that movie adaptations don’t always adhere strictly to the books they’re based on.

By another nice coincidence my family ended up living in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains for three months the next year. It was an adventurous time for 10-year-old me.

1 Like

Uh-oh.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.