Liz Cheney gets "kicked out" of Wyoming's GOP for being a conservative Republican

If the Rockefeller Foundation can go liberal, who knows? (Mind you, that panicked some old far white guys, who wired bombs into their foundations to prevent that.)

5 Likes

It’s always nice to hear people who had terrible positions say the words “I was wrong,” especially in a political environment when Republicans see any recognition of past injustice as weakness.

I’d like an interviewer to ask Liz Cheney “do you think it’s possible that you might one day come to realize that any of your current positions are wrong?”

22 Likes

Hmm interesting. Well, the upshot is that she raised nearly as much in Q2 as she did in her record-setting Q1 efforts.

4 Likes

From what I understand, their surfeit of bile makes their flesh bitter and unpalatable.

4 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

Spongebob Squarepants Reaction GIF

She’s also a member of the party that most vehemently opposes basic human rights for the LGBQT+ community, and that’s not a new stance.

Which is irrelevant if she’s still with the party that opposes LGBQT+ rights.

Go peddle this shit with Qanon members…

Snl Queen GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

It could just be his dementia, narcissism, psychopathy, and foreign influences finally overwhelmed the tiny amount of human decency he may have felt obligated to pantomime in big city society.

2 Likes

This is about as rational as my idea that Trump was really Andy Kaufman in a full body fat suit.

6 Likes

Sure, but members of the party changing their stance is how the party as a whole eventually can. I know a lot of us think of the Republican party as a lost cause (and honestly, so do I), but I’ll take any minor improvement I can get.

2 Likes

What evidence do you have to show me that Cheney being less bigoted has moved the GOP one iota? They are literally trying to kick her OUT of the party, FFS. The GOP as a whole is MORE bigoted today then it was when she actual had some sway of the party, not less.

I’m sick of being told I need to give conservative people cookies for doing the bare minimum. We’ve ALL bent over backwards trying to reach some sort of common ground since the 90s with these assholes. Guess what - they just keep getting worse and worse. They are not going to compromise. They will KILL the people they don’t believe are real Americans! This will include people like Cheney who just doesn’t say the quiet part out loud… How about we stop pretending like these are normal times and that normal considerations can be made. Look around you at what’s happening. This is not normal!

9 Likes

Not saying it has, but the more people who do the bare minimum of recognizing that other people deserve to be treated as people, the better. So she gets kicked out of the party, that means the party is one person smaller, one person less powerful. I’m obviously not saying that any one individual is going to make the difference, but maybe some of the people who voted for Chaney see this, and think “well, maybe the GOP isn’t right for me anymore.” I really don’t see the problem for wanting to support people who change their minds. Yeah, they shouldn’t have had their stupid opinion in the first place, and yeah, it’s kind of stupid that we have to praise people for doing the right thing, but I really don’t think it hurts to say “well, good on you for changing your mind, for recognizing that you were wrong.”

4 Likes

People can SAY whatever they want, but it’s their actions that really matter. She has long been in a position to move the party and she has either refused to or failed to do so.

She’s welcome to change her mind. Maybe her actions should reflect that.

It’s bigoted, not stupid.

She’s not entitled to that.

4 Likes

I don’t see why you feel the need to pick apart every little bit of my response. I really think that a lot of people in the GOP stick to their guns because they’re afraid to change their minds, and afraid to admit they were wrong. So when someone does change their opinion, I think that recognizing that can help them to change other opinions too, and help others see that changing your mind isn’t something to be feared.

You say that, but as soon as she tried to stand up for what she thinks is right, she got kicked out of her party. Look, maybe I was a bit too broad with saying “change the party,” what I really meant was change individuals within the party, who then can either go on to leave the party, or start growing momentum to change it as a group.

I don’t follow her policy, so I really don’t know if it does or not, but yeah, I absolutely agree. Has she tried to fight against gay rights since this appearance on 60 minutes? I understand her party has and continues to do so, but party affiliation is a lot more than one specific issue. Not saying that excuses it, but it’s complicated in the US with our shitty two-party system.

Yes, it’s bigoted, and being bigoted is stupid. They’re not mutually exclusive things. I was speaking more broadly than this individual case.

I never said she was, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do it anyway if we choose to.

3 Likes

I’m vaguely curious, but I’m sure you’d get a non-answer. Her position on gay rights feels really politically convenient. Didn’t she only have a position when she ran for Senate? It sounds like her and her sister had a positive relationship until then. I don’t know how her sister feels about her recent change of heart, but Liz seemed very careful about what she said about her sister, “I believe my dad was right…and my sister and I have had that conversation.”

I think it was a Planet Money podcast (probably 10 years ago by now) where they spoke to the staffers of Republicans. They all were well aware climate change was a man made problem, but nobody elected would admit it publicly.

I’m sure many of these horrible positions are genuine and wearing the fake positions all the time can’t be making you a better person, either.

3 Likes

I SSee what you did there…

4 Likes

Because if I had not, I’d be accused to not reading it and ignoring what you said. This happens to me (and other women here) all the time…

Or maybe they are showing us exactly who they are?

The party since Gingrich has been consistently moving towards no compromise positions. Every inch the Democrats have given then, they have taken a mile. Now they are kicking out people showing the slightest backbone. Where do you believe we can have a rational conversation about them changing?

The GOP is the anti-LGBQT+ rights party. Full stop. Since the party is very top down and leadership cracks down on dissent, her mea culpa is meaningless.

You and I think bigotry is stupid. Dismissing it lets it fester. It’s an internally consistent world view, that we should not dismiss as “stupid” if we wish to fully address it.

I’m tired of compromising with bigots. It has not improved the world, it’s made it measurable worse.

6 Likes

13 Likes

I love this gif so much

2 Likes

But this change of mind certainly occurred only because her sister is affected. Republicans only have empathy if they are directly affected (and very often not even then).

3 Likes

I do believe she is that smart. Just not that evil.

I’m sorry, but what is “smart” about nearly destroying democracy? It’s a ridiculous conspiracy theory like all the Qanon stuff. Clinton is just a politician like anyone else, and all the Machiavellian shit that people attribute to her is ONLY because she is a woman, and couldn’t be normally competent, so she must be some evil genius directing shit from the shadows at all times. Another thing I’m really sick of…

8 Likes