"Democracy is at risk" — Cheney eyes Presidential run against Trump

Originally published at: Liz Cheney Eyes Third-Party Presidential Run Against Trump

6 Likes

The daughter of the former regent for Prince Bush joins RFK Jr and Joe Manchin in reminding us that there are plenty of parties besides the GOP that can put democracy at risk.

24 Likes

As long as she bleeds more votes from the GOP than the Dems then I’m all for it.

27 Likes

A more legitimate candidate than RFK, at least.

6 Likes

“I believe very strongly in the principles and ideals that have defined the Republican Party, but the Republican Party of today has made a choice and they haven’t chosen the Constitution, and so I do think it presents a threat if the Republicans are in the majority in January 2025.”

Exactly what principles does she think it represents? How does she think her party got here to begin with?

14 Likes

Season 3 Nbc GIF by Manifest

2 Likes

I wonder if she would bleed both party ‘moderates’ - effectively neutralizing her impact?
With RFK Jr and this whole No Labels business - the fight could end up being between the MAGAts and the ‘Communists’ /s

3 Likes

Who’s backing her campaign?

She said she also hasn’t ruled out joining a bipartisan ticket in next year’s election, like the one proposed by a group called No Labels,

Well now.

9 Likes

Trumpism is, unfortunately, the end result of decades of policies. It’s not like people have been saying this for decades or anything…

19 Likes

2 Likes

I’m already seeing in the Democratic party amongst my colleagues on the far left people who want to “punish them” for running Biden again, who would, if the right dem is picked for Liz’s third party bipartisan thing absolutely jump at voting for the third party. This could easily take votes from the left side of the party too. This feels like the same tact taken against Hillary too, supposed leftist colleagues “punishing” the party for cheating Bernie.

I wouldn’t just assume this will go after the moderates on the left.

4 Likes

i mean, she’s not wrong. i was quite impressed with her work on the J6 committee, and i love that her new book is also naming names. i’m no fan of her father, but she at least has morals.

6 Likes

… Lizzie is against any vote-stealing fascist dictatorships that do not include her father as VP

7 Likes

tenor

That strategy is self defeating unless limited to the Dem primary.

5 Likes

That’s definitely a thing I’ve seen on Twitter and other social media and it never makes any sense.

I saw one today that talked about punishing the Dem party for not doing enough even if it took 15 or 20 years to get through. Like, let’s just cheer for two decades of pain and suffering because we’re not getting everything we want and instead vote for the guy who we know is actively going to hurt us instead.

Is there a Dem that would do this? There’s a big difference between respecting someone who believes in the rules and process and joining them when their policy goals are completely different.

It’s one thing to respect Cheney for believing in the system of government and process despite it having a negative impact on her personal career. It’s quite another to join her in actions to achieve policy goals that are completely out of sync with your own.

4 Likes

Nah. She’s just embarrassed that right-wing populists actually managed to take over the party that’s served her family’s interests so well and are moving too quickly and being too loud about the quiet parts. Wanting to roll the GOP back to 2003 does not indicate strong morals as I understand them.

That’s not to say I’m not happy she’s causing trouble for the MAGATs, just that she’s coming from the same place of oil and wars and deregulation and quiet country-club bigotry that most neocons do.

7 Likes

or, she could - you know - announce her support for whomever the democratic nominee is… ie, biden.

and then she could work on getting every conservative contact she has working towards the same end.

otherwise, she’s really just marketing her book

8 Likes

Oh My God Omg GIF

But the Democrat party is the party of evil!!! /s

7 Likes

right?

she either believes ■■■■■ must be stopped at all costs, or she doesn’t. if it’s the former then, well, sometimes you have to deal with the literal liberal devil

5 Likes

well, i can’t read her mind, i’m only going on what i’ve seen and heard from her since the insurrection happened. to me, she seems cut from different cloth than her dad.

2 Likes