Liz Cheney, No. 3 House Republican says she will vote to impeach Trump — there's 'never been a greater betrayal' by a president

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/liz-cheney-no-3-house-republican-says-she-will-vote-to-impeach-trump-theres-never-been-a-greater-betrayal-by-a-president.html

1 Like

'The president could have immediately and forcefully intervened to stop the violence. He did not."

Indeed. He watched it on live TV for about 90 minutes, ignoring pleas to intervene, before finally making a half-hearted and self-serving video telling people to go home while also calling them “special people.”

10 Likes

So we’ve hit the point where the rats vote to tell the sinking ship to fuck off.

15 Likes

Took long enough.

9 Likes

Hell has apparently frozen over…

9 Likes

This is going to be a “Tipping point” or “Critical mass” type of motion.

The GOP sure wants to be rid of Trump, but want to keep his voters. The early adopters will face the greatest heat, but each successive GOP congressmen is going to have more and more cover.

Whether this starts slow and picks up steam rapidly past a certain point, or peters out is going to depend on the number of True Believers. So I guess this is when we find out who the craven opportunists and the true wingnuts are.

6 Likes

Yeah, McConnell’s move is entirely cynical. And I’ll take it!!!

12 Likes

And vindictive.

I’ll also gladly accept, no matter what that evil petty fucker’s motives truly are.

15 Likes

Any one keeping count of R senators that say they will flip? Only need 17, assuming all the Ds will (which may not be a given).

I hope so.

I know I’m not the only one who has been saying the GOP needed to split apart. In 2016 I predicted Trump would be the straw that broke the elephant’s back. If this doesn’t do it, nothing will.

The “lesson” he learned after the impeachment last year was “the party has my back”-- maybe it doesn’t anymore.

2 Likes

I for one am heartened to see Republicans coming together with Democrats in the cause of unifying the nation by impeaching Trump.

After that, fuck the treasonous bastards. Try them, convict them, lock them up.

8 Likes

never interfere with an enemy in the process of destroying himself.

9 Likes

It’s a good start, as long as there are long jail sentences.

Mitch’s turn here is to get ahead of the news, which will likely show lots of repub cronies being involved in the insurrection. Ginny Thomas and Don Jr are already being talked about.
Also, Mitch would love to entirely get rid of the Trump stink, but his record will stay with him forever.

4 Likes

So say we all.

He’s been skunked.

7 Likes

is it too late to impeach her father too then

4 Likes

I was gonna say…

"There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.

Oh, I don’t know…ginning up a false story about WMDs in order to secure two forever wars in facilitating an oil grab by using the US military to help with the eviction process and wholesale slaughter of civilians? And that’s not even scratching the surface.

5 Likes

Nothing focuses your priorities better than being literal moments away from a violent kidnapping and possible beating.

What are “The Leopards Eating People’s Faces Party” people going to do next?

Whine, as they always do…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.