Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/25/llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwy.html

5 Likes

Didn’t we just do this two weeks ago?

1 Like

I grew up near Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg and could even say it at one time.

10 Likes

Makes humuhumunukunukuapua’a child’s play by comparison

7 Likes

To be pedantic, it’s 52 letters; “ch” and “ll” (and “ff”, “dd”, “ng”, “ph” and “rh” as well) are considered single letters in Welsh, even in crossword puzzles.

A friend of mine in north Wales taught me the pronunciation when I was visiting there (where does the time go?) almost twenty years ago. The “ll” and “ch” digraphs were toughest for me, since I’m accustomed to the Spanish versions. I can still get it, but a bit slower than the weatherman in the video clip.

9 Likes

Pronounced “Smithtown”

15 Likes

My bad. It was a month ago.

Is make fun of the Taffs going to be a monthly feature here now?

3 Likes

That’s easy for you to say!

5 Likes

I was taught in Hawaii in the 1960’s it meant “little fish with big name.” Weird.

2 Likes

And I’m sure it was originally posted 4 years ago when this actually happened.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve always appreciated the concept of this Monty python sketch but it drives me insane to try and watch it. Still it’s really impressive when John Cleese nails the name really fast in the middle of the sketch: https://youtu.be/yYMRjnM6j6w

4 Likes

Interesting how the marginal suggestion that I’m “making fun” of Wales somehow justifies your use of an ethnic slur targeting the Welsh. I’m not stopping you, but I do think it might be worth considering which of these two things does most to encourage it.

12 Likes

Shake the boogie said up jump the boogie?

1 Like

Just as an aside, my dad had one of those fish with a puffer fish in a tank. It’s weird cause those two you’d think wouldn’t get along but they were like best buds as fish could be. They’re very friendly fish. <3

go go goof

You misspelled it.

3 Likes

I thought “Smithtown” was pronounced “Smit’n”?

5 Likes

Well, yes, if you are a South Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogochian.

In the North Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogochian dialect it’s more like “Smhwn”.

10 Likes

The locale gets a mention at the end of The Boy From…

2 Likes