Loaded gun stored in an oven gets too hot and shoots owner

What, nobody here has autoclaved their firearms to get all the cooties off? Really?

4 Likes

Not all ovens…

10 Likes

I’m all in favor of that, but this is one of those things that’s so stupid I’m not sure a class would do any good. I mean, in driver instruction they don’t make a point of training you not to unscrew the shifter and impale it through the side of your head.

14 Likes

Every place that sells guns should have a big mural with the faces of the Responsible Gun Owners who got themselves, their family members, or any random bystander killed. Buyers should have to spend at least five minutes looking at it. Maybe then they’d be a bit more skeptical of all the “guns make us safer” bullshit.

9 Likes

com-optimize%20(4)

8 Likes

Yeah, don’t store it in the oven :confused:

If it was in fact a revolver, only the first round would have really bad, leaving the gun at full speed. The rest would have popped in the cylinder and possibly fragmented while trying to leave the cylinder, but it would have been at very low speed and been partially obstructed by the gun.

For bullets to be really lethal, they need a little bit of time to build up pressure, in the barrel. When they just cook off in the open or with out a chamber to build up pressure, they actually cause very little harm.

Here is a long but super interesting video put out by SAAMI for fire fighters about what happens when bullets are in a fire. Even magnum rounds just bounce off or barely dent sheet rock.

Still, don’t put your bullets in fires, kids.

7 Likes

Florida, of course.

10 Likes

There were too many entrances to that oven!

23 Likes

I live here in this beautiful state. I see this kind of stupid shit everyday. We burn our rivers, we elect the best crooks we can find to office, we take money from schools so we can give ourselves raises (oh, right, that was to balance the budget) we shut our schools because we can’t account for money or pass a tax levy increase. We shut our community libraries and other public facilities, while trying to attract new businesses and young folks, failing miserably at every stupid step we take.
But no, I’m not bitter. Just recognizing the truth of what I see. Read up on Michael Brelo and the type of Justice we dole out if you want more of a taste.

8 Likes

I’m from there yo, born and raised; though now I live on the west coast.

I’ve lived all over the country and outside of it, and I’ve seen stupid, self-sabotaging shit pretty much everywhere I’ve ever lived. Some places, much more frequently than others. (I’m looking at you, Florida.)

13 Likes

Let’s not rush to demonize all ovens. Until the ovencam footage is released, we simply won’t know whether or not it was a justified shooting. #AllStovesMatter

11 Likes
12 Likes

This happens A LOT. Apparently a lot of people store their guns in the oven and turn it on.

2 Likes

Looks like Mythbusters even investigated the phenomenon at some point:
https://mythresults.com/episode85

8 Likes

Yeah. Leaving your garbage in the fire ring at the unofficial campsite for the next person to burn is bad enough. If that garbage is ~100 (hopefully) spent shotgun shells, as often happens around here, it’s pretty obnoxious. I’m not about to light a fire in that pit just to find out that they aren’t all spent.

3 Likes

What about Florida, though?

ETA I see you already covered that.

1 Like

I think there must be some sort of stupidity ‘ley lines’ that converge beneath Florida or something, because that state certainly seems to have quite the large surplus…

5 Likes

Ugh - campfires are prone to someone thinking fire crackers are hilarious, or that the fire needs a BOOST! with kerosene. It took all summer for my leg hair to grow back.

7 Likes

Probably just as effective as the pre-abortion ultrasound thing.

After an incident with my cousin a few years ago it took almost 6 months before I was given custody of my eyebrows again.

5 Likes

I had to put the gun somewhere when taking the nachos out of the oven.

Next time I’ll keep it in the fridge with the beer like a normal person.

6 Likes