Loaded gun stored in an oven gets too hot and shoots owner

I’m curious as to why the gun went off. Gunpowder Ignites around 800 F (426 C). A house fire would probably do the trick, but an oven? Mine struggles to reach half that. Seems more likely that the rounds didn’t explode, rather that gas expanded in the sealed casings until pressure forced out the slugs. The fire mentioned in the article might be the result of the gunpowder emptying from the casing into the oven, and igniting on contact with the burner.

I mean, the oven is still a really stupid place to put your revolver, but I’m a little dubious that the rounds would cook off at a baking preheat temperature.

1 Like

The fridge is where I keep my deodorant during the summer, I wouldn’t want my handgun to smell like old spice

6 Likes

Oven?

9n1nu

6 Likes

… This is stupid enough that I thought it would have an associated snopes page with it, but alas, there is none.

2 Likes

Mercury fulminate in percussion caps ignites at 338F.

10 Likes

Fair enough. I withdraw my question. Thanks.

7 Likes

I’m a bit confused about the physics of this. In a revolver if a bullet spontaneously detonates there is only a 1/#_of_chambers chance that the bullet will go down the barrel. Every other bullet should be tearing apart the revolver as they strike the plate in front of the chamber. How did the cops find multiple bullet holes in the stove? How was the guy struck twice?!?

7 Likes

Same question. Pretty sure the guy was hit by fragments.

3 Likes

If only he had been a teacher with a bucket of rocks.

8 Likes

…sunscreen.

2 Likes

Beat me to it.
“You might Rabbit, You might”, fits in so many conversations.

4 Likes

Well, I’m definitely feeling better about that time I partially melted a plastic colander in the oven

7 Likes
5 Likes

They use the phrase “cooking off” to describe ammunition doing this; but rarely in a context where it is so literally appropriate.

5 Likes

I think we have a Darwin Award nominee.

1 Like

I think I heard something about Bass Pro Shop selling gun safes

Nope, they got it all wrong! It’s “eats, shoots and leaves”!

I’m sorry. I’ll see myself out.

Edit: added pic

10 Likes

Quantum superposition.

3 Likes

Was this a good oven with a gun or a bad oven with a gun?

2 Likes

I’m guessing that the first round to go off in a chamber not aligned with the barrel broke the frame. That may in turn have exposed other chambers. So most of the rounds were shot from the chamber only, never went through the barrel, and so exited at relatively low velocities.

2 Likes