Local council seeks additional funds for Thatcher statue to pay for a tall anti-vandal plinth

maybe they could build a thirty-foot-high wall around it, to keep the vandals out

11 Likes

I’m not seeing the implied logic in the original. I don’t think @doctorow was actually claiming causation.

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll accept donations from rugged individualists abroad who admire her enough to join a Web site for the express purpose of defending her memory.

It’s not like kicking in a few GBP is beyond the means of these (present or realsoontobeanydaynow) captains of industry.

13 Likes

it’s the tragedy of the commons, i tell you

11 Likes

About the only way they’ll keep the vandals out is if they launch the statue into the sun.

16 Likes

they could wait until everyone who lived through the poll tax riots is dead, THEN put up a statue

10 Likes

I think that could find funding.

13 Likes

You know, I’d consider donating myself, if it came with a bumper sticker with these words.

Thank you.

5 Likes

She fucked up Scotland to the point where what used to be Conservative safe seats haven’t seen a tory elected in decades.

21 Likes

flash-gordon-vultan

Oh wait you’re serious…

zoe-laughs

22 Likes

noel-fielding-laughing

16 Likes

Haddaway and shite, bonny lad,

11 Likes

The kind of people who worked in factories and such. Simply dreadful they were, doncha know.
ETA: @KathyPartdeux, apparently I’m not allowed to post consecutive replies (even if they are both germane and amusing), so:

10 Likes

You’re forgetting the economic knock-on effect.

First, it will be built with an undisclosed mixture of private donations and council in-kind expenditures. Then (after a respectful number of hours), it will be cleared to be declared unprofitable, then off-loaded to a sympathetic statuary consultant for a single coin, who will then put it back on the market as an opportunity for private-sector maintenance firms to charge the council for ongoing anti-vandal upkeep.

So much activity for the economy! And all it costs is money…

10 Likes

She was a Europhile until Jacques Delors became President of the European Commission.

8 Likes

I’m laughing the way you do when the jerk at work walks out of the bathroom with toilet paper on their shoe and everyone quietly laughs.

15 Likes

HappygoluckyCrispIggypops-small

13 Likes

Some reminders about Thatcher…

And a series of charts from the guardian on how Thatcherism changed Britain:

17 Likes