Local news agency with no Pulitzer Prize reports that area restaurants have no Michelin stars

Originally published at: Local news agency with no Pulitzer Prize reports that area restaurants have no Michelin stars | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I think we need to know more about the as-serious-as-it-is-petty bad blood that led to a decade of ignoring Los Angeles.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think the head line they wanted is “Why the Michelin guide hates Los Angeles”

7 Likes

Does Venice Beach still have places that sell $1 pizza slices or did inflation finally catch up with them?

7 Likes

There are $4.50 cheeseburgers as the local “bargain” food.

7 Likes

That’s just wrong. Last time I was there you could get a dubious prescription for marijuana, a lewd souvenir T-shirt and a greasy lunch for about $20. But the prescriptions aren’t required for legal weed anymore so maybe it balances out.

5 Likes

You can still get cheap sunglasses, personalized panties, and weed from dubious dispensaries and colorful individuals.

7 Likes

Venice, lol

2 Likes

I pray that Charly Temmel, Disconcerting Ice Cream Pimp is still around?

5 Likes

…Michelin is a travel guide, not an award; as such, every restaurant within its designated areas is eligible for stars, like it or not. Michelin’s small army of inspectors—the grand title bestowed on the guide’s staff of professional eaters—is beholden to strict critical guidelines, intended to insure consistency across the various guides. As a result, restaurants pursuing Michelin’s approval tend to implement features that are known to earn high marks: generously spaced tables in the dining room, finely textured napkins, hushed music, white porcelain dishware, finely choreographed service, a French-inflected haute cuisine tasting menu daubed with regional spices and accents and punctuated by gastronomic stunts. The result is a whole class of three-star restaurants that feel, more often than not, like they belong to a global franchise—the Cheesecake Factory with a caviar supplement.

I’ve spent the past few years travelling to Los Angeles as often as possible in order to eat at the city’s brilliant restaurants. It’s occurred to me, more than once, that, as much as the city’s fancy chefs grumble about the lack of Michelin attention, the ultra-high-end restaurants that stand out most in the city are ecstatic departures from the rigid formula that Michelin tends to reward. I’m thinking of a restaurant like Vespertine, a surreal operation housed in an architectural folly in Culver City, where the chef Jordan Kahn serves a four-hour tasting menu that embraces the artistic notion of “difficulty”—a meal that’s intellectually and aesthetically thrilling, even if (by design) not always pleasurable. Ditto n/naka, a California kaiseki restaurant run by the chef Niki Nakayama (whom I profiled earlier this year), which is both exacting and soft—a casual, intimate room in which diners participate in meals of ritualistic formality tempered by bursts of improvisation. Both restaurants are, by my estimation, among the most artful, innovative, and exacting in the world, in large part because they didn’t build themselves specifically to the imposed standards of Michelin, or of anyone else.

5 Likes
5 Likes

“Meanwhile, in the news for parrots, no parrots were involved in the traffic accident on Hwy 5 involving two big rigs. When asked for a comment, one local parrot said he wanted a nice cracker, yum yum.”

6 Likes

While Venice, Italy has 5 Michelin star restaurants.

5 Likes

Music too loud, food OK.

1 Like

Checks whether Venice is still where Suicidal Tendencies was founded. YES.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, pencil-neck journalist types!

4 Likes

Forget the parrots, what about the news for wombats?

3 Likes

Holy cheese, that all sounds unpleasant.

1 Like

Good criticism teases out the petty annoyances and inoffensie cliches and ensures that they won’t just be tolerated.

I usually go by the Guide Duchemin anyway [Gallic shrug].

Never mind the fancy Michelin-wannabe places. How are the places that you go to for Elevens (pm) and that meal when the bars close (if they do)?