Logitech mouse has a dedicated "AI" button

hmm, not what I expected with a “pumpkin spice AI” prompt.

3 Likes

This is great! My blood pressure went down as I read it

2 Likes

Oh I dunno… I’m feeling pretty allergic to AGI right now…

2 Likes

Wired: Logitech mouse “AI” button
Tired: Microsoft keyboard “AI” button
Expired: Boing Boing BBS “AI” button

9 Likes

I’ve already got a mouse with unnecessarily buttons, most of which I carefully avoid pressing, ever. I don’t need this.

@Mindysan33
They don’t know either.

Their rant is magnificent. I read it earlier, and (almost) the funniest bit of that is all the people I see referencing it, who just reinforce it. People working in “AI,” or being exposed to “AI” businesses, where they realize these “AI” boosters have no idea what the fuck they’re doing and have no actual business plan or use case for the tech.

I especially feel this bit:

That is to say, it turns out that the core competency of smiling and promising people things that you can’t actually deliver is highly transferable.

5 Likes

Now that’s just bad design; it’s wrong.
AI buttons (and indicator blinkenlights) are supposed to be purple.

3 Likes

Great, but I’m still gonna use my old Logitech which has an NFT button on and a wheel that orders a mini-disc

5 Likes

How about a crowd intelligence button? When you press it, it gives control to someone else with that mouse for ten seconds.

4 Likes

That’s from Logi Options+. I assume that the button would allow you to highlight text and submit for rephrasing. The app doesn’t recognize my mouse, so it’s not nearly so automatic.

4 Likes

Oh I hadn’t realized Brian had been disabled!

3 Likes

I finally managed to adblock the little sucker!

To hell with the ai.

I get mouses from an ebay seller in Circleville, Ohio, home of the Circleville Pumpkin Festival.

They sell 'em in boxes of five for around $25 or less. They’re wired, so they don’t eat batteries. They have 5 buttons, and I love having ‘forward’ and ‘back’ buttons. The buttons are big enough to make them both easier to use, and to avoid using them.

They are sturdy, which is good b/c I’m such a f’ing klutz, and last a long time. They’re comfortable in my hand - I’ve had some that actually gave me cramp.

I also love that they’re black and silver, one of my fave color combinations.

3 Likes

Recycling bits for the benefit of others:

1 Like

I really can’t stand the default side buttons assignment as back and forward.
I only use gaming mouses, as they are sturdier¹ and better for gaming (duh!).
The first thing I do is reprogram the side keys as shift and control.

Why?
Shift-wheel gives me one handed horizontal scrolling in all sane SW (looking at you Office 365 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:).
Ctrl-wheel gives me one handed zoom.

Other button(s) I usually leave as profile/sensitivity switch.

Moreover, all gaming mouses I have remember settings without the need of a proprietary driver or SW, so I have one I bring back and forth to office (no unauthorized SW allowed).

¹My 10 years old Roccat Kone Pure was crushed in my backpack. I 3D printed the wheel axle (only broken thing) and it’s still going strong.
At work, I carry my Razer DAv2², and was considering to buy a cheap mechanical keyboard (a silent one) to leave there. I’m also carrying my mousepad - for some reason, they stopped providing them and I hate the scraping noise of the cheap mouses they provide.

² I don’t use it for gaming, it’s slightly larger than my comfort zone, but it’s perfect for work³.

³ A Glorious Race O- is my gaming mouse.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Now I can zoom one handed (option/alt) in Affinity, without accidentally activating Rotation, (cmd)

2 Likes

I’m not a gamer, tophat-cool I just do boring old stuff on teh intarwebz, so boring old fashioned mouses. They come with a disc, but they don’t need any SW installed. Tiny frisbees. tophat-biggrin

I’m waiting for AI intelligent enough to press the button for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.