Longer video of Native Americans, MAGA cap high-schoolers, and Black Hebrew Israelites encounter tells a different story

25 Likes

Their invented history isn’t really any stranger than the Mormons, but it’s always a problem when doctrine runs into facts. (Especially when the facts are other people.)

5 Likes

Well, it is fun to watch some engage them, as long as they’re not ignorant yahoos like these schoolboys who take them seriously. I remember watching an elderly Hasidic Jew they were yelling at stop and proceed to calmly and methodically demolish their Biblical “arguments” as they continued to toss increasingly impotent insults at him. It was a fun bit of Union Square street theatre, where the quiet old man who obviously had their number became the crowd’s hero and where the responses of the Black Israelites were met by increasingly loud jeers and laughter.

15 Likes

Let’s not forget that the Covington diocese teaches/practices other forms of hate as well:

22 Likes

@frauenfelder - Thank you.

1 Like

Wait. A group of teenage boys are aggressive and act like jackasses? Color me shocked.

This is why Nathan Phillips reaction was exactly how mine has been when dealing with testosterone hopped up teenage boys as a coach. Calm. Cool. Be the adult.

Nothing we see here changes that these boys are assholes. Nothing changes them acting poorly. Nothing changes how awesome and amazing Nathan Phillips is.

16 Likes

So the new Liberal Take is that this is all a big misunderstanding and the media messed up?

Here’s my take: nope.

The “new context” does not “debunk” this video. These kids were harassing Natives while wearing MAGA caps.

29 Likes

TBH it’s pretty rare for BB to ever express thoughtful opinions. There are a lot of fast calls to judgement here. I mean I kinda like the ones you make, but you do jerk the knee a lot.

9 Likes

This. My attitude is “we can have both”.

They acted like typica teens in that they were easily provoked. They acted like racists/Zionist assholes in who and how they acted against.

2 Likes

I’d say its more because they’re small, not very influential. And they’re all bluster. They perpetually show up on street corners and at left wing protests. But all they really do is shout nonsense. They aren’t a growing group, they have no influence, and whatever they’re yelling about its just nasty talk.

They don’t need to be countered or doxxed because they just really aren’t a thing.

They’re like the West Westboro Baptist Church without legal representation. The approach has been simply to ignore them. And it’s worked.

No body ever seems to get seriously into it with them. Except white supremacists and angry right wing groups. Because they’re easy to rile and easy to out number.

Where’d you get that its a liberal take?

Even Mark’s link is from Reason. Who, while occasionally interesting/objective, are mostly a right libertarian operation.

6 Likes

So while not completely clear of wrong doing, it appears the original story included some hyperbole. The fact the Black Hebrew Israelites was there I didn’t realize until Mark’s update on the earlier thread. And I do really appreciate @markfrauenfelder updating there and this new post.

Now - if one hasn’t encountered the Black Hebrew Israelites - whew… they are a trip. If you haven’t ever seen/heard them, think Westboro Baptists, but with more shit lord and attacking specific people, not just general groups. I don’t know if I can stomach watching them again if they are in the video. I’ve seen other stuff of theirs and wow. I warn anyone who does watch and you are gay or have aversions to people angrily calling others “fags”, it isn’t going to be a pleasant time :confused:

5 Likes

What? You’re disappointed that a BoingBoing editor isn’t letting the preferred narrative stand when the facts contradict it?

That’s supposed to be the other side’s shtick.

Like most everyone else here I haven’t watched the longer video, but from the report it at least sounds like things were a lot more complicated than originally thought.

Yes I’m sure some of the kids were still obnoxious and said inappropriate things, even kids not wearing MAGA hats tend to do that. But whatever they’ve done does not justify the Internet hate mob that came with the original narrative.

9 Likes

What I’m seeing is a concerted PR push from these kids and their families. Like an actual some one paid for it PR push, and a rush from right wing media to validate it.

What you’re describing. As with Mark’s validation of it here, mostly seems to be another example of certain ends of the left letting the right set the conversation. It’s news because they’re talking about it. Teach the controversy.

Its the butter emails effect.

Yes please.

17 Likes

I found these two quite entertaining; they gave out kind of a Laurel and Hardy vibe.

readitboy

2 Likes

Gosh, maybe we should retroactively give these young fellers a pass, then.

And yes, I’ve gone full-on Godwin, but he did give his blessing.

16 Likes

It appears that a lot of people do not know smug when they see it.

One thing is certain. The actions of these kids completely eclipsed the event they had actually come to town for. What was it again, something about protesting a legal surgical procedure?

20 Likes

Sure, I’d give them a pass.

The Hitler Youth were also kids. They didn’t join because they were massive anti-Semites, they joined because their parents signed them up.

Now if those kids grew up to be Nazis then sure they’re the bad guys, but if I’m going to give Omar Khadr a pass for being a child soldier I’ll extend the same understanding to the Hitler Youth.

Either way, it looks like these aren’t so much enthusiastic Hitler Youth as a bunch of confused kids regurgitating their parent’s politics. I’m not going to endorse a hate mob directed at them.

4 Likes

I’m confused, did they or did they not do racist chants to an old Native American man?

27 Likes

Then do recognize in order to get a pass, there must be a certain level of culpability.

5 Likes

They did, but that’s OK. Because something something something antifa something liberals something real racists something JUST WAITING FOR A BUS.

In MAGA hats.

25 Likes