Look what I made for lovers of Kewpie mayonnaise

Why is that MSG yellow? Is it all oxidized to hell? The MSG I get from the grocery store is pure white and great on popcorn with shichimi togarashi.

3 Likes

I think it’s just the pic. The version with two is white.

Because it, like everything in my mom’s spice cabinet, is from 1972?

4 Likes

Good way to reply without addressing the substance of my post!

I guess “logical fallacy” is redundant, so it’s minimally humorous, but I wouldn’t name a band that; maybe a song, or an EP at best.

Seriously though: if you’re willing to satisfy my curiosity, could you please state why you are so adamantly anti-MSG?

I see you are a fellow of good taste and distinction despite being raised in Oscar-Meyer Scarytown. I, too, am a satisfied refugee.

1 Like

What I make for lovers of Kewpie Mayonnaise:

Mentaiko Pasta

Cooked Pasta +
1 piece of spicy cod roe (sans membrane)
1 tbsp of soy sauce
2 tbsp of Kewpie

Forgot: Top with shredded nori usually in small thin strips

7 Likes

If that’s a pic of your cooking, then you’re a much fancier chef than I. I might have to try this recipe out, although looking at it I already want to add a touch of miso. When I’m making aioli for fried food, it’s always gochujang, rice vinegar, dried salt lime, miso, and Kewpie mayo.

3 Likes

Nope. It is just a pic I got through a google search of the dish.
It is simple enough that there is plenty of room for variation.

I am definitely trying your aioli recipe!

1 Like

I took the liberty of melding @frauenfelder’s file with the posable tentacles I’ve been working on, to create a sort of seasonal Urotsukidoji / elder god themed mayo centerpiece, which seemed like the obvious next step here:

mayo_urutsokidoji

Mayo_Tentacles.stl.zip (6MB)

(the image is a cunning deepfake, I don’t actually have a bottle of this mayo to test it on)

(and yes, I did leave clearance for the hinge. I… eyeballed it)

21 Likes

This thread needs even more recipes!

4 Likes

Salt lime is the only weird ingredient in there. I made a bunch of salt-pickled limes earlier this year that I then dehydrated (which then broke my food processor trying to grind), so I use those, but you can also find dried limes (limu omani) at any Persian or Middle-Eastern grocery store. Smashed up it works just fine.

The aioli also works great as a marinade / brine without the mayo. It doesn’t work very well as a salad dressing, the gochujang is too sticky. If you add orange juice and any smoky chili (I like guajillo) it tastes like adobo.

5 Likes

Oooh I got those stores in my neighborhood! I’ve seen those!

Gochujang + Kewpie mayo = a nice condiment/dipping sauce

3 Likes

Agreed on Gochujang + Kewpie mayo being a great dipping sauce for just about anything. It also makes a great Hollandaise, to which I like to add some basil and green onion pulsed into it with an immersion blender. This makes sense because spicy barbeque + Hollandaise is amazing.

3 Likes

Not to knock 3D printing, but the lid looks flat, so couldn’t you just turn it upside down in a door shelf and prop it up with other bottles in the door shelf if needed?

1 Like

Email me!

1 Like

Sure, but this is more fool proof

4 Likes

STL files are great for printing but not so great for modifying. How about a source file, Mark?

1 Like

Please let us know if you find anything at all healthy in that aisle.

1 Like

This whole MSG / Mayo thing has everyone in an uproar, I’m go’n sneak out the back cyber door and leave it at that. Who knew, I ask you?

@bheerssen

I did, but it was the next aisle over, good deal on Jeam Beam this week, a handle was $18+tx, couldn’t beat it with a stick. I checked if MSG is in the Whiskey, astonishingly no…

5 Likes

Maybe Rachel had too much MSG.

2 Likes