Looks like we're not getting a Star Trek 4 after all

All of this, yes! He has some interesting ideas but just strings them together at random without thinking about if any of it makes sense together.

Agreed. That whole character introduction with McCoy on the shuffle ride up to the academy in the first film was absolutely awesome. An extremely efficient summary of the character and his background.

4 Likes

Well, he’s the guy who did LOST, which was the classic example of something using a ton of cool ideas (Creepy 1970s psychological experiments, Time Travel, secret societies where people speak in Latin, etc ) but which was ultimately disappointing because it didn’t lead anywhere.

4 Likes

There are two fantastic Trek TV shows on now: Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds.

Both of those could transition to new Trek movies the way the TOS did, if they really wanted to. No reinvention, recasting, or “dark gritty reboot” crap needed.

3 Likes

That’s all it took the first time he snapped.

Young Spock: I presume you’ve prepared new insults for today.

Vulcan Bully #1: Affirmative.

Young Spock: This is your thirty-fifth attempt to elicit an emotional response from me.

Vulcan Bully #2: You’re neither human nor Vulcan, and therefore have no place in this universe.

Vulcan Bully #1: Look. He has human eyes. They look sad, don’t they?

Vulcan Bully #2: Perhaps an emotional response requires physical stimuli.

[shoves Spock]

Vulcan Bully #2: He’s a traitor, you know, your father, for marrying her, that human wh*re.

[Spock beats the shit out of the bully]

By the third time Spock lost his temper trying to beat Khan to death it seemed less like a break from the norm than it was reinforcing a pattern.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that makes perfect sense, from a Romulan point of view.

1 Like

And still could have saved Romulus. They’ve already traveled back in time, Nero doesn’t mind fracturing the timeline anyway, so why not have Spock take a nice slow but certain second shot at it?

Oh thank god…

The first movie was…sort of tolerable? Because they had to introduce SO many characters. Loved Quinto as Spock, and Mr. Urban can do no wrong, but SO much of that movie was just…weird…If I had written HALF of the “chance encounters” in any script writing class I’ve ever taken, I would have been laughed out of the room for both my foolishness AND my laziness.

Into Darkness was a literal strip mining of existing Trek without ANY of the emotional attachments and turned what was, at one time, really good science fiction into very mediocre FANTASY / MAGIC that happened to be set in a universe with spaceships.

Once they introduced a backpack sized object that could transport anyone almost anywhere, and magic blood that cured DEATH across ANY species, the ENTIRE REASON for having starships, starfleet, captains, or ANY of things in the Trek universe was COMPLETELY negated. It also made any other Star Trek movies completely unnecessary since no one could die and they could travel anywhere in the universe they wanted…HORRIBLE, lazy, terrible writing…It’s no wonder they COMPLETELY ignored it when making the follow up film.

And once they went for Kirk on a motorcycle, where he LITERALLY jumped the alien (shark), I belly laughed and even at the time, I was hoping they would give up.

Mr. Abrams has personally destroyed Star Wars and Star Trek, and I HOPE they don’t let him touch anything else any time soon.

5 Likes

Well once they committed to the concept of an alternate timeline then unlikely chance encounters were baked in unless they were going to just not use most of the old characters. Apparently there was a deleted scene attempting to explain that as the universe trying to “heal itself.” Silly, but it’s not like there would be a non-silly explanation.

That reminds me of another gripe I had with the new movies: introducing “trans-warp beaming” technology to the franchise meant that spaceships themselves were now completely pointless. After they established that characters could just use the transporter to beam to a planet halfway across the galaxy then moving people around with spaceships would be like sending messages by carrier pigeon in the age of radio.

7 Likes

Not really no. He did not personally destroy every piece of evidence of pre-Abrams Trek/Wars and ensured that only post-Abrams stuff was available. I’m not a fan of his stuff with these franchises either, but he certainly didn’t ruin either for me. I still love them just as much as I did before, even if I’m not a particular fan of Abrams stuff. No need to be hyperbolic here.

4 Likes

They could beam through shields as well, so any space battle that didn’t involve beaming a bomb onto the enemy ship or just beaming the enemy crew off of their own ship and into a brig would be pointless too.

Maybe the plot point would have been more acceptable if Spock had said “ok, I’ll let you use this algorithm this one time to help fix the timeline or whatever but then we have to delete it, agreed?” But then they were using it in the sequel, so yeah, pretty dumb.

3 Likes

Now now, some things deserve each other. Like, if anyone ever thinks of doing movies of John Norman’s Gor series…

From what I’ve read in the last few days, all actors are still attached to the project. So it seems like it’s just on hold for now.

Bummer but personally I’m good with kelvin timeline ending

1 Like

Given that there are five Star Trek series either running right now or between seasons, which have very good production values, a movie seems like a bit of a downgrade- just a short, dumbed-down couple hours instead of an already cinematic-quality season of TV. It would be like MST3K The Movie, which was shorter than an episode of the actual show it was based on.

3 Likes

MST3K movie: 74 minutes
This Island Earth (which didn’t deserve the treatment): 86 minutes

2 Likes

Describe the third Star Wars trilogy without using the words Star or Wars :slight_smile:

1 Like

That one is probably better as a Michael Bay project given the more than dubious sexual politics.

Yes.

THIS.

A thousand times this.