Los Angeles art museum is now free to all starting Saturday: "Like a library, where you can just walk in"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/10/los-angeles-art-museum-is-now.html

5 Likes

After the Met in New York changed their pay what you wish policy, I was worried that more museums would follow suit. Glad to see another major American institution going a different way, and reminding museums that they were built for the public.

8 Likes

Many cultural institutions in St. Louis, including their great municipal zoo are free to the public. Living in NYC, I do find it surreal when visiting STL to just walk in and start wandering the facility.

4 Likes

Live in DC where free museums are the norm! Although that has downsides. The Newseum (a museum dedicated to journalism) recently closed because not being free it had a hard competition with the Smithsonian museums and other free museums like the National Gallery of Art.

4 Likes

Dang, Los Angeles is on it’s way to awesomeness.

2 Likes

I know it’s been a good move for the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in KC. It’s been great being able to swing by for a little bit whenever you want without having to worry about “getting your money’s worth”. As a result, memberships are up, as well as ticket sales for their special exhibits.

3 Likes

The Newseum’s content couldn’t support its cost.

The Phillips Collection is $10 (or $12, if special exhibit on) for a daily admission, a bargain at that price, and well attended.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.