Los Angeles' new tourism logo

Originally published at: Los Angeles' new tourism logo | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This logo is pronounced: LOHS Ang-hell-eeeze.

15 Likes

I thought that this was the official bass synth of the City of Los Angeles.

14 Likes

So Los Angeles in 2021 is Miami from 1980? :thinking:

41 Likes

You can’t watch the sun set over the ocean from Miami.

12 Likes

But you can watch it rise.

15 Likes

As a kid on the east coast, everything I knew about Los Angeles came from TV shows like Three’s Company and Miami Vice. (I confused Miami and Malibu for ages.) Now I live in LA and like this logo, and I blame my '80s TV past.

21 Likes
34 Likes

Designed by Shepard “Hope/Andre the Giant Has a Posse/Obey” Fairey.
I love it, but don’t think it’ll have anywhere near the impact of I :heart: NY or whatever.

8 Likes

I had thought they might try to theme it to draw from the flag of the City of Los Angeles. But that flag is fairly forgettable.

6 Likes

That was San Diego. I think…

5 Likes

It’s every dirt cheap tourist T-shirt available in L.A. in the early 1980’s. How many waves of 80’s nostalgia must we who lived through the original be subjected to?

11 Likes

They’re at the LA zoo in the opening theme, but it does feel San Diegoey somehow.

5 Likes

@Lisa_Beebe

Just to set the record straight…Santa Monica.

13 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes

I like it. My limited experience with Los Angeles brings to mind road signs edged in razor wire and a brown, pollution-choked sky, so this definitely seems more inviting.

6 Likes

What’s great about that logo is that once they’ve gone all in on that retro style, they’ve also kind of claimed it forever. It would be really hard for any other US tourist destination to try something similar and not be accused of copying this.

3 Likes

Gotta spend some time clearing this tune from my mind again…

11 Likes

So, what I’m seeing here is “Cocaine is back, baby!”

12 Likes