Losing a court fight, Marjorie Taylor Greene complains about actual repercussions for her actions impacting her personally

“Welfare for me, personal responsibility for thee!”

15 Likes

…most people would decide that even if they disagreed with the mask mandate [they] would not continue to lose money until they had no salary left.

Most people also have more than four brain cells.

13 Likes

ISTR that you normally you can’t deduct fines from your taxes, but I suspect that in this case since she never actually got the money, and this was not imposed by a court, she isn’t going to pay income taxes on money that she never saw.

2 Likes

You really do get what you pay for, apparently.

4 Likes

At some point, most people would decide that even if they disagreed with the mask mandate would not continue to lose money until they had no salary left.

As my father would have said: “Most people would have a titter of wit”.
Corrollory: MTG does not have a titter of wit.

10 Likes

“when your wages are garnished, that money isn’t considered tax-free, even if it never lands in your pocket. If your wages are garnished in order to pay your debts, the amount that is garnished is considered received by you for federal income tax purposes.” -Forbes

According to Forbes, which was the most succinct reference I found, it would seem this doesn’t exempt her from taxes…

21 Likes

Interesting. But I still suspect that this might be different because it was NOT done by a court.

1 Like

38 Likes

Since the requisite ‘Nelson Muntz’ has already been posted:

28 Likes

Almost quaint to see an operator in Congress who just can’t figure out a way to cash in on nearly unlimited access, insider info and platform. In a non-competitive district!

6 Likes

I think you might need some modifiers there. There are plenty of pols who don’t go to DC to grift…

10 Likes

Absolutely. But she never wanted to be one of them!

9 Likes

She’s not playing the inside grift. She’s playing the influencer grift.

14 Likes

She’s doing the Qnut/MAGA/Alt-Right circuit for speaker’s fees and junk.

16 Likes

She needs to do a Gofundme or other fundraiser. She’s got fans nationwide that are fools who will happily part with some money for her. But you have to phrase it correctly.

“I fought the Democrats on your behalf for years, but now the liberal courts have ruled that Nancy Pelosi and The Squad can legally steal my congressional salary and use it to do god knows what to helpless children. I am willing to fight on, but, like all real Americans, I have bills to pay. And attorney fees. Please send whatever you can and I will see that your name is added to the list of those who should be spared in the coming Purge.”

4 Likes

Maybe she invested her PPP money into defense stocks before the Russians invaded Ukraine.

Despite her opposition to the stimulus funding and the PPP, her family’s company, Taylor Commercial, received a six-figure PPP loan worth between $150,000 and $350,000 earlier this year. New York Magazine reported that her name had stopped appearing on the company’s registration forms in 2012 but was added back in 2019

Surely her Freedom Caucus will bail her out. Because freedom.

10 Likes

Hit 'em where it hurts: their wallets.

7 Likes
8 Likes

'Rep. Greene complained to Alex Jones that she has lost her entire congressional salary due to her refusal to comply with the mask mandate on the House floor. ’

She’s going to have to start flogging Mega Max Manhood Apocalypse Coffee suppositories on Infowars.

11 Likes

As much as she deserves to be walking around wearing a barrel with suspenders while moths flutter out of her wallet, I doubt this will have long term consequences. The same folks who would rather kick in the teeth of a person living on the streets than give them a dime won’t hesitate to bail out screaming, unhinged hate mongers like her.

12 Likes