The White House points out Marjorie Taylor Greene's duplicity on loan forgiveness

Originally published at: The White House points out Marjorie Taylor Greene's duplicity on loan forgiveness | Boing Boing

20 Likes

More of this please (from the WH), and I stand with BB

29 Likes

Oh man, that thread. The White House isn’t just going after MTG, they’re listing ALL the duplicitous GOP legislators who are attacking loan forgiveness for others while taking advantage of programs for themselves. Some had millions in PPP loans forgiven.

47 Likes

Kinda great to see the White House “This you?” the unbelievably, blatantly hypocritical GOP and its sycophants.

30 Likes

A lot of responses under those are crying foul that Biden said his administration would be civil.

Their idea of civil and uncivil are very different than normal people.

25 Likes

It sounds like a lot of them are saying things like, “Working class people shouldn’t have to pay for elite stock brokers and layers college,” Did they miss the whole bit about it applying to people making <$125k??

16 Likes

Hey now, not being a complete doormat and giving in to everything the Republicans demand is very uncivil. Can’t we all just get along, and agree that some of us just shouldn’t exist? (/s in case its neccessary)

21 Likes

It’s the “death tax” nonsense all over again; railing against estate taxes that only kick in after $10M.

18 Likes

Best reply, right here:

39 Likes

Reminds me of the debate on “The West Wing”:

But your state of Florida got $12.6 billion in federal money last year - from Nebraskans, and Virginians, and New Yorkers, and Alaskans, with their Eskimo poetry. 12.6 out of a state budget of $50 billion. Now, I’m supposed to be using this time for a question, so here it is: Can we have it back, please?

23 Likes

Very simple indeed, but also very impure.

1 Like

:fire:

28 Likes

Wait… just for clarification, how did all these people get loans forgiven? Is there some program specifically for members of government or something else?

2 Likes

IIRC - part of the PPP loan program was to keep people employed in businesses that were closed due to the pandemic. So if they met certain conditions, including keeping staff on the payroll, then they wouldn’t have to pay it back.

14 Likes

And as it turns out, cutting staff after getting the loan is no obstacle to forgiveness – at least for some.

15 Likes

When Republicans talk about “civility” they mean “You will be polite to us and we will insult you with impunity”.

19 Likes

With very little oversight or check-ups. One colleague of my wife who is a therapist was/is self-employed in a practice. That person converted seamlessly to telehealth and continued to practice without interruption, applied for a “loan” based on hir own supposedly lost employment, got it, and remodeled hir kitchen. Loan forgiven. And now this person is carping up and down facebook about students getting government handouts.

I would suspect that many many people did something similar.

20 Likes

Yeah, some of the folks on the list are just unexpected-Reese Witherspoon? Who does she employ that merited close to a million dollars? Or was it accountants applying for these monies knowing full well they were stealing from people who really needed the money?

7 Likes

If you call her out on it, please get screenshots of the resulting mayhem!

2 Likes

Pouty pout pout

10 Likes