Rep. Marie Newman on her "deeply broken" office neighbor Marjorie Taylor Greene: "She needs help"

Originally published at: Rep. Marie Newman on her "deeply broken" office neighbor Marjorie Taylor Greene: "She needs help" | Boing Boing

17 Likes

Greene quickly retorted “I know you are, but what am I??”

36 Likes

36 Likes

I disagree. Greene knows exactly what she’s doing. She’s there to “own the libs”.
Her base and the Trump republicans are all in on her antics.
She should be expelled from Congress.

50 Likes

Exactly. And dealing with her from any other angle is a big mistake.

18 Likes

“is like watching a middle school mean girl try to operate in a very serious place,”

That statement seems accurate to me.

17 Likes

They are not incompatible.

28 Likes

Sounds like a qualifier to be a republican president to me.

3 Likes

Um. OK. I have needed mental health help. I have had students, friends, family members who have needed mental health help. I am not speculating on Greene’s health. But I am deeply troubled, frustrated, pissed-off that at some point relatively recently, “huge asshole” became “needs mental health help.”

You don’t have to have an illness to exist in a condition of entitled, childish hatefulness. And that’s what I see in so many public figures today. I grew up with people like this, and they’re still there back home, and I encounter them now and then where I live. It has always been acceptable here in the South to behave in certain assholish ways. Blatant and violent forms of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc have not only been sanctioned but praised and institutionalized. But this sort of trollish assholery – which can be very, very fucking dangerous – has become normalized across the nation, and really in many places around the world.

From what we saw with Trump’s support numbers, support which never dropped below ~30%, that a significant fraction of human beings are either already assholes or are inclined to cheer on assholery of the worse sort. Human history is filled with massacres, atrocities, pogroms, genocides, enslavements, and so on that show us that this is just simply the case. We’ve gotten along by either pretending that this not the case or by pushing this sort of behavior out of the realm of the acceptable.

For fuck’s sake, I see no need to lump suffering people, sick people, in with these “deplorable,” twisted, entitled, hateful, violent assholes.

55 Likes

This.

23 Likes

It’s code for that person is white… :woman_shrugging: Sadly MTG is an asshole which is harder to deal with and has no real help for…

17 Likes

20 Likes

the thing is, so many of greene’s fellow congresspeople SAY stuff like this when they are interviewed, but they too rarely DO anything about her.

6 Likes

What kinds of measures could Democratic members of the House take against Greene that they have not already taken given the absence of cooperating Republicans? It’s not like Pelosi has the authority to fire her.

13 Likes

Tiger pit.

9 Likes

Democrats could honestly start open carrying.

It’d be hilarious to see MGT and Boebert melt down over how unsafe they feel that AOC is carrying a desert eagle around the office and making sure to conspicuously unholster it and put it in quick reach at her desk when she sits down.

“I’m sorry I can’t recognize the representatives from CO and GA. I’m busy at target practice and can’t hear them over all the holes I’m putting in paper trumps down range.”

“Why do I have a gun? Oh it’s because I feel endangered by republicans. They whipped up an insurrection that broke into the capitol to try to kill me”

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure our society has already demonstrated that “the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun” is a strategy destined for failure.

23 Likes

Yeah. I know. I just think it’d be funny.

I know IRL leftists who are carrying now specifically because of proudboy white nationalists who keep talking about how they want to start race wars.

When you encounter people like that often enough you may feel inclined to be armed.

An armed society isn’t a polite society. But if there’s a bunch of violent trumpist thugs with guns around, not having any guns yourself won’t keep you safe.

Trumpists are cool with mass shootings. And as long as nobody’s actually doing anything to make them less likely…

11 Likes

Unfortunately people of color who carry guns in public are even more likely to get murdered by cops than the ones who don’t. There is literally no choice that will keep them safe.

32 Likes

Yep. It’s terrible.

The republicans have effectively made the entire second ammendment apply to whites only.

18 Likes