Lost and found: $200,000 in gold bars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/15/lost-and-found-200000-in-go.html

5 Likes

If Hollywood has taught me anything about people who lug packages of gold bars around then it seems likely that someone was transporting that gold on behalf of a person/organization of questionable legality and the expected recipient of that gold was extremely disappointed in the courier who lost it.

If that’s the case, then the courier is probably A) no longer among the living or B) laying as low as humanly possible.

33 Likes

Yeah, it’s like going to a police station to ask if they found your bag of crack.

19 Likes

thank god, I was wondering where I’d left them

16 Likes

It’s obviously mine. Wait, does the gold have Nazi markings? :thinking: I mean it’s obviously not mine. I’ve never even heard of gold. Not sure what it is. :zipper_mouth_face:

7 Likes

Since when has the Swiss government cared about returning things to their rightful owners?

30 Likes

This reads like the premise for a movie. The question is - is this the end move by the hero leaving out the gold so that the bad guy loses it or is this the beginning of an all out assassin/mercenary fight to retrieve it?

7 Likes

Man, I did Nat Zee this coming…

5 Likes

13 Likes

I have a cousin who shall remain nameless that decided early in his career to quit his job to get a pilot’s license. Long story short, he ended up piloting personal jets for people?, persons?, organizations? in and around Macau. He has some crazy stories about bales of cash, gold bars and high rollers. He’s told me that his tip was often given to him by just grabbing a stack of bills or coins off of a crate of money. Now “retired” in Thailand, he’s sitting pretty and living like a king.

Gold happens.

28 Likes

Since it’s the public prosecutor that’s keen on locating who lost the gold, I’m not sure that returning it is the goal.

6 Likes

Probably one of Kelly’s Hero’s. I’d put my money on Oddball.

9 Likes

Unclaimed gold you say?

15 Likes

To be fair, this being Switzerland, it’s probably really someone a bit forgetful where they left their suitcase.

And I’m not completely exaggerating.

Switzerland is a really, really interesting place.

6 Likes

Oh - I thought I had lost that in the couch cushions.

If you could just fedex it to me?

5 Likes

Pretty annoying when you need to do laundry and can’t find any gold bars in the couch cushions. The dryers are really expensive these days…

1 Like

My guess is that the person that gold was stolen from doesn’t even know that it is missing from their vault.

1 Like

Don’t even need Hollywood for this one, really. A friend-of-a-friend was a courier for gold merchants, and apparently he would just carry around large quantities of the stuff in luggage on trains and airplanes. My recollection of the story was that he would carry so much, and it was so heavy, that he’d have more wheelie cases than could be moved at once, so he would have to leave a half behind while dragging the rest 20 feet (or whatever) and then go back for them, moving back and forth to shuttle them from spot to spot. So there might be a legitimate reason to be carrying around gold bricks (or semi-legitimate, anyways), but forgetting them - and then not picking them up - starts getting into “something obviously went really wrong here” territory.

6 Likes

Similar to diamond dealers in New York, who just carry stones around sometimes, relying on anonymity to move them around.

Then there’s this guy:

11 Likes

You can find a nice gold dealer in the Diamond District too, but I suspect the gentleman in this article didn’t leave his suitcase on a Swiss train though: https://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20131117/FINANCE/311179997/max-kahan-sets-the-gold-standard-for-the-diamond-district

2 Likes