Lou Dobbs: Trump should 'declare a national emergency and simply sweep aside the recalcitrant left'

He gave them the wink and nod to start saying and directly calling people Coon, Spic, Heeb, etc. in public just like in the ‘good old days’.
Gave them someone to look down on again.

8 Likes

I just read an article that went into some actual detail about what the White House was proposing and it turns out to be even worse than that. Apparently what they’re (also?) looking at taking is funding that congress has allocated for various disaster prevention projects around the country (California, Puerto Rico, Texas, Florida, Louisiana), such as levees to control flooding, but where the projects haven’t been built yet. So they are punishing people for living in areas that might flood - made more likely by climate change - causing future death and destruction to prevent imaginary problems.
Something tells me that any flood control projects that would impact Mar-a-Lago would go unaffected, though…

10 Likes

There truly is a German word for everything.

5 Likes

If that’s what they think was “good” about the old days then they must have had sad pathetic lives.

5 Likes

Welcome, Perrin, to bOINGbOING.

: )

2 Likes

Well, sure, if your language can turn a paragraph into a single word, it’s all covered.

Now I’m going to get in my car, shift my Porschedoppelkupplungsgetriebe into drive so I can go discuss the Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz at the Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft.

10 Likes

The aristocrats!

9 Likes

Some German words are so long that they have a perspective.

6 Likes

I’m not even sure that he is smart enough to realize this, although some of his aides are. He thinks that he is a great negotiator because he is able to zero in on the weakness of others and has no scruples about exploiting them. He is good at being a bully But years of negotiating from a position of strength and declining mental capacity seem to have left him unable to recognize where he is weak. That may have started out as bluster and distraction, but at this point he appears to believe his own bullshit. And that is not good in negotiations. Like most bullies, he is not very good in a fair fight.

4 Likes

Obligs:

14 Likes

While I fully acknowledge that there are some passionate reactions on both sides of this issue and that people’s points of view should be respected, I can’t help wondering if adopting fascism isn’t something of an overreaction.

1 Like

Uh…

That comment has some questionable phrasing therein, given the times.

If the issue is who deserves equal rights and respect and who doesn’t, then there’s a much bigger problem at hand than mere partisanship.

It depends upon what that POV is.

Supremacists, bigots, misogynists and anyone who seeks to establish systemic dominance over others get no respect from me… ever.

13 Likes

Nor should they… the dignity and legal rights of our fellow human beings is not something that’s up for debate. Period. Ever.

14 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think they were just trying some understated sarcasm there.

5 Likes

Maybe, but given that some people would take that as a good point and agree with it, it’s worth calling out and worth getting clarification over.

7 Likes

I’d like to think so too, but damn that Poe’s Law…

8 Likes

There’s really no indication that he ever had more self awareness than he does now.

And I don’t think there’s much indication that he was any sort of negotiator in business. His strategy seems to have simply been to not pay his debts, tying disputes up in court as long as possible. Where he could he contracted to smaller companies that didn’t have the ability to hold him to account. Or that he could simply kill by not paying so there’d be noone left to seek restitution. With banks and larger companies he used carefully timed bankruptcies, additional debt, and refinancing to avoid paying. And his stock and trade while building anything appears to have been cut rate materials and scab labor.

The branding business doesn’t seem to have been his idea, or involved him much. A combination of his kids and his dad’s money pulling his ass out of the fire when the bullshit began to collapse.

In terms of his personal behavior. He’s nothing more than a routine abuser and compulsive liar. So exploiting people’s weakness is probably an apt description.

4 Likes

My comment was meant to be sarcastic, I’m sorry that wasn’t clear.
In the future I’ll preface any further musing about polite discourse and the violent takeover of the government with a clear warning of incoming sarcasm.
My apologies

6 Likes

Right on!

A point of view is simply where the opinion comes from. And opinions deserve scrutiny before respect. The people listed above merit no respect or consideration at all.

ETA: Doh! I should probably have finished the thread before responding. I’ll go back to swilling and puffing now. :slight_smile:

ETAA: Well, the statement still stands but the target is gone, lol.

A bit of a derail; I have to go outside for a puff, and it’s fucking cold. -18C tonight in the Montreal area. Thank the gods there’s hardly any wind. I hope it’s warmer where you guys are.

4 Likes

No worries; thanks for clarifying! :+1:

5 Likes