Trump will sign funding bill and declare national emergency in attempt to fund border wall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/14/mitch-mcconnell-says-trump-to.html

The only national emergency in America is Trump.

10 Likes

this would be monumentally stupid, even on a trump scale. his approval rating plunged when he shut the government down, and went back up a little only when he capitulated to pelosi and reopened it. this would NOT be a good move.

18 Likes

25 Likes

Yet another example of the right wing hypocrisy. If Obama were to do this, there would be untold conservative apoplexy.

45 Likes

Any Dem presidential candidate who doesn’t run on declaring an National Emergency for climate change is an idiot. Shutting down the fossil fuel industry would win hands down.

There would be tanks on the WH lawn.

36 Likes

This is why you never compromise with these people. You give concessions and they just do what they want anyway

28 Likes

“I’m signing a border security bill that isn’t as comprehensive as I’d prefer” doesn’t really rank up with, say, Hurricane Sandy or 9/11 on the scale of National Emergencies.

27 Likes

ForthrightBadElk

10 Likes

Would it? It depends on his goals, doesn’t it? And on just how monumentally disastrous the other stuff is he wants to distract you from. This would be a pretty big pile of turds to throw into the fan. If Congress is busy fighting with him over his fake national emergency, that’s time they don’t have to spend investigating his other grifting, for example.

8 Likes

Let Trump and his idiot following go for it. Set that precedence.

Then every single dem candidate needs to run on declaring a national emergency for climate change. Every single one.

28 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

18 Likes

this is the absolutely perfect setup because it will fail in the courts and every other landowner will sue the administration

meaning it will never happen, but just like the shutdown unfortunately the money will be wasted anyway for zero result (shutdown cost more than the wall)

and then Trump will go back to playing with his new golf simulator and watching TV during his 6+ hours a day of executive time

14 Likes

Is now a good time to be scared?

8 Likes

Roger That!

10 Likes

WTF does an approval rating matter to someone or some group of people that are essentially dictators?

19 Likes

Breitbarters are hoping, wishing, thinking he won’t sign it. Rumors abound.

Many are freaking out that Dems will declare a Nat Emerg in the future to shut down the coal industry or to take away their guns. lol

22 Likes

well, i can’t wait to see his base have a meltdown when he allocates money meant for the military to this. it won’t distract for very long.

also, i think the optics of declaring a national emergency that ISN’T about gun violence on the anniversary of the parkland mass shooting… well, those optics are bad.

11 Likes

ratings are ALL he cares about, though.

5 Likes

Fine, let him care about it. This is FAR beyond that. If he does this, it will be a precedent that we will not come back from.

3 Likes

tumblr_inline_plswvnNDQJ1r0ficq_540

22 Likes