Trump declares "national emergency" to get his wall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/trump-declares-national-emer.html

3 Likes

27 Likes

He just flat out fucking told a reporter that there is no emergency, he just wanted it done faster.

US residents, you are fast coming up on the point where you are going to need to make a serious choice. And it may not be at the ballot box.

59 Likes

So, dictator much?

30 Likes

That was a weirdly rambling and unfocused press conference even by Trumpian standards. He spent a full five minutes talking about unrelated subjects like trade with China before he even got to the supposed “emergency” part. And later he couldn’t seem to stop fantasizing about how great things could be if we had a more draconian criminal justice system that simply executed all drug dealers.

33 Likes

So… the next round of lawsuits is the next step, I presume?

26 Likes

On the positive side of things, maybe now its finally time to reign in some of these executive powers that keep expanding with every administration.

33 Likes

Since he didn’t divest, can we declare Turnip’s holdings to be government money and pay for this bullshit that way?

15 Likes

25 Likes

It’s been reported that trump’s minions have been planning this for a long time. They’ve located what monies they think they can steal (think FEMA administrator resigning) Lets hope that Pelosi and Co. have been planning for an equally long time on how to counter this bullshit.

28 Likes

There is a national emergency right now, IN MY PANTS!

4 Likes

You’re brave listening to what he has to say. To me his voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

18 Likes

also, what about Hadrian?!?

8 Likes

Pelosi / Schumer Statement:

10 Likes

Let’s compromise - let me kill who I want when I want and we’ll forget this wall thingee!

Yes! This is exactly the outcome I’ve been hoping for. This effectively puts gov’t shutdowns off the table, he will be completely mired in legal challenges that neither he nor his goon squad have the wherewithal to combat, every agency he tries to divert funds and assets from will kick up a giant shit storm, he will never be able to claim Mexico paid for it (though he will, of course) and everyone but his hardcore base will see it for exactly what it is; a childish, petty, dictatorial flailing. I’m all in, now. Build that fucking wall! The 50 meters be completed will be a glorious testament to his ineptitude. Just think of all the memes…

28 Likes

I can only psych myself up to do it once every few months or so. NPR was covering it live and even they eventually cut the feed when it became apparent he didn’t have anything relevant left to say.

22 Likes

This Hadrian? Seems appropriate…

Hadrian Manufacturing Inc. is a worldwide supplier of quality toilet partition and locker products.
https://www.hadrian-inc.com/

7 Likes

Truly, this is the stupidest timeline.

Pretty much all of this, yeah. This is a massive overreach and a ginormous strategic blunder for Trump.

20 Likes

This was especially annoying to listen to. He kept using a high rising terminal at the end of his sentences without any reason than to just sound whiny, and it ended up sounding like a bad impression of Professor Fink from the Simpsons.

8 Likes