Louisiana candidate for Senator burns up a confederate flag in this new kickass ad

Originally published at: Louisiana candidate for Senator burns up a confederate flag in this new kickass ad | Boing Boing

22 Likes

Love it. Nothing says support for America like burning the flag of those who tried to leave it in a racist hissy fit.

Kennedy will no doubt respond by calling this flag-burning something along the lines of “an un-American attack on our heritage” – not because he’s stupid but because he’ll know it will play with his mouth-breathing voter base.

49 Likes

I’m not sure I’d want to resurrect the “south rising again” in any format, but I’m all for the knickers that will get twisted over this video.

18 Likes

Good line. The South has so many positive things going for it—NASA, the Civil Rights movement, the birthplace of what we think of as “American music,” chicken & waffles, etc.—that it is just mind-bogglingly sad that so many Southerners want to build their collective identity around something as pathetic as a failed slavers’ rebellion.

42 Likes

40 Likes

I’ll reiterate…

adventure-time-finn-happy

And also…

Nah, I’ll take a south that’s inclusive, diverse, and equitable. There are lots of things I like about the south, the racism and white whinging isn’t one of them. Maybe it’s time for those fuckers to GTFO if they don’t like a better south.

43 Likes

Whoa, Oh Brother, tracking down his campaign so I can start sending cash to this good man.

27 Likes

The Clarion Project had this image on their site, labelled as “Antifa burning an American flag”.

ClarionProject

27 Likes

There is a place for confederate flags - places that symbolize its defeat and humiliation. Like inside the bowl of urinals and toilets in the capital, and printed on trash bags, the foot mats at the service entrance to the white house and supreme court. If some people won’t allow a symbol to die, then we should at least put it in its place.

10 Likes

You could add toilet paper to the list, I’d wipe my behind on that flag every day with great pleasure.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’d touch that flag to my ass.

10 Likes

Daaaamn! That’s going to piss some idiots off. :rofl:

I love Chambers’ style; confrontational and unapologetic. His last ad was pretty great, too:

33 Likes

If only the skills to get elected were in any way related to the skills required to being a legislator.

I love his ads, but I wish electing our representatives was a little less student council.

6 Likes

That ad is awesome!! Only thing that would have made it better is having an American flag proudly still flying free above the burnt remnants of the losers. Make the juxtaposition that much more stark and remove the racists power that Chambers is somehow “anti-American”. There’s literally NOTHING more anti-american than the Confederate flag.

16 Likes

There’s a higher level confederate flag to burn?

15 Likes

Until we get dark money out of our elections and completely transform our media landscape, candidates have to have media engagement - like it or not. This ad sends a strong message for what he’s for and what he’s against and does it in an engaging manner that is relatively clear for everyone.

I’d like to live in a world that’s not like this one, too, but here we bloody well are. I’d REALLY like to see people like Kennedy get the boot out of the senate, because they’re literally backing an attempted coup by white supremacists and fascist.

29 Likes

About a third of people in Louisiana are Black, and a very small portion of Louisianans are wealthy. Right now the State is represented in the U.S. Senate by a rich white doctor and a rich white lawyer. So just being a Black person from a middle-class background means he’d bring some much-needed perspective and representation to Washington that neither of the state’s current Senators can provide.

33 Likes

I, too, approve of this advertisement.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

23 Likes

I don’t think it would make a better statement, but now that you say it, it occurs to me the Nazi flag is basically a leveled up Confederate flag.

17 Likes

Also: this is a Senate seat, so districts/gerrymandering don’t apply, and surprisingly (to me) a slight majority of LA citizens identify as Democrats. If he can get out the vote in huge numbers he could win.

17 Likes