Louisiana police officers fired over death threat to politician

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/23/louisiana-police-officers-fire.html

12 Likes

These sad excuses for humans need to lose more than their jobs.

Threatening government officials of the United States is a felony under federal law .

32 Likes

This is unexpected. Usually they stay in place and get promoted.

Unfortunately, after laying low for a few months they’ll get hired by another police department in a lily-white exurban nearby.

[Edited for clarity]

31 Likes

I’m sure he’ll get a police job at the neighboring municipality.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Yea, if you’re trying to have a positive impact on violent threats against progressive politicians, giving heavily armed state sponsored gang members a bunch of free time out on the street isn’t really a great strategy. Firing them just seems like CYA and removing the association with the police for when they actually kill someone in cold blood.

8 Likes

Can’t disagree with the sentiment, but Gretna is part of New Orleans. Its not a lily-white exurb

2 Likes

Here’s a more local account of the story

5 Likes

There’s a lot of attention given to Russia’s meddling in the election, but Russia didn’t make us unable to tell the difference between real news and fake news. Russia didn’t make us racist. We grew these people right here at home.

17 Likes

What? You suggest they keep their jobs? By all means fire them, forfeit their retirement funds - and make sure they never work in law enforcement again, let white supremacy taint their work record and make it near impossible for them to find a decent job again. You’ll never change the mind of a white supremacist, but you can push them back in the closet where they used to be, till they die off all together.

4 Likes

19 Likes

GREAT that they were fired! Now how about some jail time?

One would certainly think so. Since they are both – without a doubt – well armed gentlemen, it adds further weight to the threat. And now they have some time on their hands. What to do, what to do? Whatever they decide on, I don’t think they’ll post about it on Facebook first.

It didn’t keep them from finding a job in the first place. As much as I wish being a white supremacist was a disqualification for employment, the real world isn’t supporting that viewpoint at this time.

13 Likes

Best career move for racist bigots, and please take the gun[s] away from these idiots.

7 Likes

The fact that this happened in Louisiana puts this in the “act of God” category.

1 Like

IK,R. ImMiGrAnTs NeEd To ObEy ThE lAw.
Maybe we should start deporting these chaps to their country of origin. I hear the UK has a new head clown who might welcome them.

4 Likes

Oh I was thinking prison.

4 Likes

So Chief calls the situation a ripple in the pond, calls it a mistake in judgement, is quick to question the motives of the fake news story, but never mentions the systemic racist/pro authoritarian issues in the police force.

The tone of his remarks is that one person did something dumb and regrettable which is true but it is also driving the narrative away from the real problem.

5 Likes

Kill a black man: Not fired.
Threaten to kill a politician: Fired.

3 Likes

Threaten to kill a black politician: Hired!

5 Likes

Gretna’s Police been trying to show that they aren’t the worst for a few years now.

3 Likes