Louisiana townsfolk terror-freak over Hebrew "welcome home" sign

Make fun of the stupid 'ol rednecks with their terrornoia if you want, but just going by the article:

1. there were signs. Plural. Multiple signs which were…(see #2)

2. from the pic, at least one of the signs appears to be beside a public (albeit probably rural) road.

3. if these were “welcome home” signs, who were they welcoming home? Yamin? No mention of who his is, or why he’s being welcomed home, or who was welcoming him home.

4. Commenters have said that the text of the signs look nothing like an text on an ISIS flag, but that’s pretty subjective. To someone who is unfamiliar with non-english alphabets (cyrillic, hebrew, greek, etc) it’s an honest mistake, and not necessarily a stupid one. The “dildo flag / Isis flag” gaff from a month or two ago is in a similar vein: I would actually expect someone who’s never seen a dildo, let alone a variety of dildos, to mistake the dildo flag for the genuine Isis flag (which it was a parody of, of course.)

and 5) the article says the signs were probably done by someone who most likely was a non-israeli or a child. So in other words, they still don’t know who put the signs up, or why. Gardner, LA has less than 2000 people. I wouldn’t figure Gardner to be a big diaspora site exactly. If no one knows who put the sign up, or who “Yamin” is, and no one fesses up, I’d be temped to call this monkeywrenching perhaps.

Long story short, I’m inclined to cut the folks from Louisiana some slack, even if ya’ll aren’t.

1 Like

This is horrible.

Seriously- that handwriting is horrible

3 Likes

I’m not so sure the author made that mistake. He was appealing with logic – asking the dummies who freaked over the sign whether it makes sense that the terrorists (who the dummies assume speak Arabic) would post signs designed to scare the dummies using the terrorists’ presumed native language rather than the dummies’ native language.

4 Likes

It’s just like driving in Wales!

I keep slowing down for those Arafs, and I’ve never even seen one! I think it’s a conspiracy. I’m not slowing down for one again until I see proof they really exist.

9 Likes

If you could read a sign next to a public road that read “Welcome home, Bubba,” would you give it a second glance? If Bubba isn’t the name of you or any friend or relation of yours, would you really care who he was, why he was being welcomed home, or who was doing the welcoming?

Or would you just boogie on down the road, minding your own business like a normal person would?

Look, you can’t read it, it doesn’t look remotely like graffiti, it’s pretty definitely not a message intended for you. Do you really need to call the Sheriff’s office and ask if some foreigners are leaving coded messages for each other out on the roadside in front of God ‘n’ ever’body?

I’m happy to cut plenty of slack for rednecks in general (they’re kinda my people, after all), but I take a dim view of ignorant busybodies.

20 Likes

You really want to blow a conservative Christian’s mind?

Jesus was middle eastern, dark skinned, and spoke Aramaic.
The word for God in Aramaic is Allah, Allah just means God.
Jesus prayed to Allah, and preached about Allah, which is something anyone who translates scripture can tell you.

BOOM!!! (you are welcome)

Also worth noting that Aramaic looks a heck of a lot like the language on the sign, a lot closer then Arabic.

Why do these people hate Jesus?

13 Likes

IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.™
Especially if you see anything that’s the slightest bit beyond the familiar.

2 Likes

You seem to have missed the point of the article.

You know what? Even if the family were welcoming home their son Muhammad and the signs were in Arabic, it would still be entirely OK.

Bigotry isn’t something to “cut folks some slack on”.

25 Likes

Who would believe ISIS participated in a Gay pride parade to begin with? Doesn’t every rwnj know from fox news know the groups persecuted by ISIS?

1 Like

Save your words silly fool. Louisiana rednecks have been, are now, and always will be what the Boing Boing hoi polloi say they are.And all other rednecks, conservatives, T baggers, people with bibles, guns and monster trucks.
This administration has a campaign right now “see something - say something…” Probably left over from Bush.

@vrplumber @JeanBaptiste FYI, whoever she is, Yamit is not a him.

6 Likes

And such a friendly-looking “welcome home” sign it is! No mistaking that for an uncheery greeting! Nope!

Is there a mitzvot against writing Hebrew in festive colors? With some glitter or balloons or streamers?

4 Likes

I’m having a difficult time reading your bullshit. The First Amendment keeps getting in the way.

1 Like

Please re-read the first amendment and tell me what part of it is being violated by either my response to this mountainous molehill or by various citizens of Gardner LA calling the local cops to see what the heck was up with the signs?

Was it the “abridging the freedom of speech” part? Cuz I don’t see any freedom of speech being abridged by me, or by anyone in Gardner.

Careful with that. If a LED sign of a cartoon character constitutes a “terrorist hoax,” deliberately publicly-placed signs in “foreign” could easily be so construed as well. Especially if it has that kind of “ISIS slogan” on it…

1 Like

The townsfolk of Louisiana?

1 Like

I think we’re all missing the important question here: where’s the lower half of that signpost?

1 Like

Stupid Hillbillies, it’s not a real terror sign unless it says “Welcome Home” in ARABIC!

1 Like

You really don’t see how calling the Rapides Parish sheriff (and your attitude) about that sign are oppressive? That’s amazing. Where you born without empathy or was that taken from you?

4 Likes