Louisiana townsfolk terror-freak over Hebrew "welcome home" sign

Are you crazy or something? Is that it? I’m dealing with a crazy person?

Not even willing to make a small effort to understand how that would be oppressive. It would have taken less mental energy than digging up that video. I guess it’s more important to one-up me. That’s pathetic.

Yes. So what?

4 Likes

It seems to be a slightly mis-spelled sign, with odd handwriting, too - I think it’s missing the letter vav in bruchah. I wonder if the sign maker actually knew Hebrew, or if they just copied the letters, illiterately.

Roughly , in English, it’s “Welcmehome, Yamit”. Lack of spacing and missing letter intentional.

4 Likes

Well let me put it in terms that you perhaps can understand. You started off, very unkindly and unnecessarily so, by saying my first comment was bullshit. Then, when I asked you a simple question about your response, you ignored it and went on to accuse me of being born without empathy. While so doing, you said that the entire sign-in-hebrew-in-Gardner-LA situation was “oppressing” towards someone. My question now would be: who exactly was or is being oppressed in Gardner LA? IF the sign had been in Arabic, and/or put up by a Moslem citizen of that parish, the argument could be made. But it wasn’t. It was put up, allegedly, by a Jewish person welcoming home some other Jewish person. The sign-poster hasn’t been oppressed. We don’t even know who that person was. It was a misunderstanding, but not a stupid one: possibly the most unfestive-looking “welcome home” signs ever written got put up along the roadside in a small town in Louisiana and a handful of people were weirded-out enough that they called the cops and said “what’s up?”, which is a reasonable response in a small and probably close knit community that almost certainly doesn’t speak or read Hebrew very well. Tell you what: I’m going to go to the nearest synagogue and paint in big scary dripping red letters in Arabic “Yay for Judaism!!!” on a nearby wall, and see how quickly someone shits. Does that mean I will be the one being oppressed when the defecation commences?

Seriously? You want me to do your thinking for you? Pass.

2 Likes

I’m not, because they were frightened of a bit of cardboard. Which is something that’s annoying when horses do it, but people? Yeesh.

8 Likes

Of course, these signs are clear evidence that there are at least three religious groups present (four if you count the Protestants), so it’s almost starting to look like a melting pot down there.

Better check they understand the concept of a ‘melting pot’ down there. Lots of fire? Check. Chucking people with different faiths in? Check. Melting? Not sure. Would you call that melting?

PS:
I remember my father writing a ‘welcome home’ sign in Russian for my sister, after she had been there.

6 Likes

Oy, another self hating Jew!

2 Likes

Unless you’ve got permission from the owner of the wall, you’ll likely be questioned for vandalism.
But feel free to do it on a disposable sign, although you may be taken to task about the neatness of your writing as would be likely.

7 Likes

As long as they pay royalties!

1 Like

(godwin?)

Not for long.

2 Likes

+1 for Johnny Dangerously reference

2 Likes

Yet they got the feminine gender right. If they had used Google Translate or something I think it would have said ברוך הבא הביתה or ברוכים הבאים הביתה but not ברוכה הבאה הביתה.

My guess is that they had a Hebrew-speaker send them the text by e-mail or something and then they copied it.

Yes.

No.

It’s 2015, not 1015.

6 Likes

It’s 815 here!

7 Likes

In the shade?!?!?!

6 Likes

Beat me to it. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.