"Love Boat Rejects: Unforgettable Photos Of People On Cruise Ships In The 1990s"

[Read the post]

3 Likes

FUNFACT: most of these people are dead now.

3 Likes

@pesco both this and the post on the main site are without title.
ETA somebody ninjad the title here on me.

1 Like

What is this? How are we here?

Oh itā€™s fixed now. It seemed like a top seekrit thing for a minute there.

I still havenā€™t worked out what the appeal of a cruise is meant to be.

5 Likes

this just confirms that, Love Boat aside, cruises are definitely one of the circles of hell. EDIT: if i ever find a pink jacket like that one manā€™s, iā€™ll be a happy, happy man.

2 Likes

This is what happens with retirement homes cost as much or sometimes more than a cruise.

Fixed, thank you!

The title post on the main site calls these ā€œvintageā€ photos. Are the 1990s really considered ā€œvintageā€ era now? Oh God Iā€™m old.

Edit: also, some of these look like they could easily have been taken from the 60ā€™s or 70ā€™s.

6 Likes

Not Steve Ballmer. Then again, heā€™s a vampire.

1 Like

DFW provides a porthole into the 1990s cruise ship scene.

Only thing Iā€™ve read by him so far (in A Supposedly Fun Thing Iā€™ll Never Do Again), and it sums up why Iā€™ve never had any interest in taking a cruise.

Way, way too much norovirus goes around on those ships.

2 Likes

The appeal of a cruise is being at sea surrounded with better-off peers, a staff of domestic servants, and millions worth of equipment designed to eliminate any notion of being at sea.

1 Like

Letā€™s not forget a once-in-a-lifetime chance to bond with strangers by sharing a virus and puking with them.

5 Likes

The guy before the jumpā€¦is that Norman Reedusā€™ grandpa?

I have been mildly interested in taking a rehoming (or whatever you call it) cruise. Where the boat is between cruises and has a 2 to 3 day trip to the next starting point. I know they do Seattle to LA often, cheap, no shows, for a weekend of quiet and viewing the sea it sounds like a nice deal. But a proper cruise, no thanks do not want.

2 Likes

Ah, I knew this sounded familiar. Didnā€™t I suggest this for the book club?

My parents have done a few ā€˜cruisesā€™, but on small boats - not sure of numbers, 20 people or so? Up the Amazon, around a few Greek islands. They sound like an excuse for retired middle class Brits to drink lots of wine, mostly. Iā€™m pretty sure the Greek oneā€™s sister ship sank a few years ago but my google-fu is failing me.

They did a bigger cruise from Vancouver up to Skagway once, donā€™t think they enjoyed the experience much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.