Luke Cage

I’m only on S1E5, but if Cottonmouth goes away - man you lose so much ambiance and music from those club scene interludes.

I love the “lashed back” in the intro scene.

I don’t think the show is very black culture heavy, especially Pop’s shop. There are elements but I feel like it could go deeper.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to come back and read that later!

3 Likes

Loved it. Amazing music, and the pacing inside each episode made it flow better than either Daredevil or Jessica Jones did.

One minor dissatisfaction was the lack of consistency in the directing style from episode to episode. I mean, the general tone of the series was very consistent, but each individual director brought a lot of individual style that marked each episode as a work distinct from its predecessors.

That slow-motion bit showing the guy breaking his hand on Luke’s face? Never saw it again. That not-quite-Homicide-interrogation-scene style of overlapping dialogue from Misty’s psych eval? Not used anywhere else. And the inconsistency of displaying text messaging… the guy who directed the first episode of Sherlock directed the episode where where instead of showing us the phone the text messages floated over the scene.

As the back half of the season came to a close I started to think that the producers may have cast the role by saying “We need someone like Tony Todd, but younger.”

5 Likes

lol - yeah later on texting looks like Samsung product placement.

hand breaking - I gotta throw that in the budget camp, that doesn’t look like a cheap piece of animation that you want to break out very often and was used to illustrate just how hard of a man luke cage is. We know now, so we don’t need to see the bullets splattering against his chest and we get some cheap ass shirt holes instead.

5 Likes

3…2…1…

And damn it I gotta wait for another season now? Should this go in Fuck Today?

5 Likes

Yet not as bad as living in Tijuana. 5 miles from the border, and I can’t watch season 6 of The Walking Dead unless I cross over.

3 Likes

:worried:…but you have the internet? Are they region blocking their website, or no longer hosting new episodes on their website?

Region blocking, it seems. Which kind of sucks, because I don’t want to pay through the nose for unlimited data on my phone.
I buddy up on my neighbor’s wi-fi, so that we can save money.

1 Like

Super lame! The intro basically begs viewers to go to their website to re-watch.

1 Like

I would point you to my favorite spot to acquire such things but their ads have been getting past ublock origin lately and stupid browser hijacking ones too.

1 Like

Coincidentally, this is how most Trump supporters imagine the border:

9 Likes

Tongue-in-cheek, but it almost seems like they do.
Whenever people in San Diego learn I’m in Tijuana, they assume Rosarito or Ensenada, which seem more like white settlements than people trying to assimilate.
When I explain I’m in the real-deal Tijuana, I get this face:

8 Likes

Good to see you, sir.

*hugz

9 Likes

I hated the “the Punisher is my mortal enemy because he kills people while I only beat the shit out of them” logic of Daredevil.
Luke Cage has a more interesting treatment of the purpose of violence and morally ambiguous characters I think. He never wanted to be a hero, he doesn’t have the savior complex that Matt does. When he tries to ask not to fight, it’s not a last chance ultimatum where he knows his enemy will say no and then he’s morally clear to do whatever, because he “already tried to be the better person”.
Something feels different, more sincere, like he actually does want to reach out to his enemy, but I’m not sure why. He does let himself get beat up a lot, although to be fair Luke is mostly invincible and Matt is only invincible in his imagination.
I feel like ultimately he sees the fight as a way to reconcile things rather than a chance to prove he’s morally better.

9 Likes

It was cool to see Method Man in a prominent cameo with a humorous scene. His rap about Luke was definitely not corny, either.

12 Likes

Here is the first appearance of Luke Cage’s costume back in the Hero for Hire series back in 1972. His original outfit was intended to be a costume to distract anyone from paying any attention to his face. He used the look as a kind of branding attempt in order to bring attention to his Hero for Hire business model, complete with business cards.

7 Likes

To be fair norman osborne also ended up going crazy from his tank.

2 Likes

I’m sure the Marvel scientists have some kind of tank to fix that though.

5 Likes

I’m glad the writers gave a nod to the original costume, while also acknowledging how ridiculous such a getup is today:

9 Likes