Lumberjack cake: tartan batter?

[Read the post]

1 Like

calling @japhroaig I think you have a new project.

9 Likes

That is insane. How do youā€¦ The barkā€¦? How is that axe balanced thereā€¦? There must be the corpses of a thousand cakes behind that photo.

16 Likes

There are cake pans you can get that have circular, removable dividers in them. You pour in different colors of batter and then remove the divider before baking.

Hereā€™s a link:

http://www.michaels.com/10392568.html

To make the plaid effect just takes a little planning of the colors.

7 Likes

It looks like two layers worth of cake were wasted - the burgundy collapses into two layers and the light red and black need two layers each. Thatā€™s assuming you canā€™t divide the cake into rings beforehand and colour them separately, or dye the light red rings black after cutting them. The bark could be melted chocolate dried into strips, while the axe could well have a cocktail stick anchoring the tip into the cake.

1 Like

OMG, near the end she says ā€œItā€™s like netflix for cake tutorialsā€ :smiley:

3 Likes

It would be Sooo much easier to simply make several sheet cakes, and cut them into strips, then assemble. There is no color bleeding between layers in the photo and it has been internally frosted, so my bet goes to that technique.

And the ā€˜barkā€™ on the outside is hiding flaws from cutting the cake into a circle. But that is also the point of exterior decoration on most food.

The bark is dusted with sugar. However a more advanced technique (not used here) would be to get a super excessive bloom after molding the chocolate. It is usually considered an imperfection, but in this case would look even more natural.

Now where is the maple ice cream.

8 Likes

Huh, Iā€™ll have to check (giggle) those out. Still color me (second giggle) dubious that the separation of dyes is that clean.

My SO also has a ton of coupons for Michaels.

1 Like

I realised that, but only a couple of slices would look this good, and only from one side, so I would consider that Cheating. I want to believe that someone actually made a cake that looked this awesome in real life. Basically, I want to make this cake.

3 Likes

So do I. I may Spring for one of those cake molds (am I seriously doing cake puns?)

3 Likes

My wife and I tried that once. The different batters didnā€™t stay neatly divided and instead of plaid we ended up with a tie-dye effect inside the cake.

1 Like

For the glaze, would white icing topped with caramel work? You could draw the rings with a skewer before they set. As for the internal icing, is it all just chocolate?

2 Likes

You can only cut lumberjack cake with a marzipan axe.

9 Likes

How about removing the dividers AFTER baking it? Make sure they are well sprayed or nonsticked somehow.

1 Like

Thanks. Out of stock, though, and not available in Canada.

Amazon, US and CA, does carry some. For some reason, the prices vary from $11US to $167 PLUS shipping (wtf, amazon.ca?). In any case, I can get it cheap.

2 Likes

My guess is she used some kind of concentric ring cake form and removed the dividers after partially baking them since it didnā€™t look like they were separate rings. For the bark maybe large chocolate shavings piled up in strips and slightly remelted together.

Anyway, neat cake.

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering about the axe as well - I canā€™t even tell what itā€™s made of - fondant? I assume itā€™s held up by some rod in the center of the cake. The chocolate bark is easy enough - Iā€™ve made similar for a bĆ»che de NoĆ«l by pouring melted chocolate on an uneven surface covered with plastic wrap then cooling and dusting with powdered sugar. Messing with a bunch of ring cakes of different colors to create the plaid effect seems like more effort than itā€™s worth to me, though. I donā€™t think youā€™d have to go through too many cakes to get it right.

1 Like

Itā€™s a lumbercake and itā€™s OK,
It tastes alright but it takes all day.

26 Likes

Congratulations sir, youā€™ve just won the internet.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve already got one.

6 Likes