Lumberjack cake: tartan batter?

Here’s a closeup of the chocolate from the video. She says it’s an easy technique that doesn’t use moulds or even tools. I’m going to change my guess and say she poured melted chocolate onto foil or plastic wrap that was crumpled up slightly and then flattened.

Apparently the axe has a metal support that goes into the cake, through the blade and up the handle. I’d have thought it was made of marzipan.

Here’s a recipe for a similar cake, which took three hours to make:

You can buy large cookie cutters or just cut around cardboard shapes if you don’t want to buy extra tools.

1 Like

Three hours for a cake? God I’m slow, the pound cake took me four. But I may have puttered around.

(My all grain brewing record is 4:35, from grind/initial heat to yeast pitch. Which is insanely fast)

3 Likes

That is fast. I have never been able to do it faster than 4:35. I tell friends that it takes a solid 5 or 6 hours before they come over to help.

1 Like

I was literally, not figuratively running the whole time. Never gonna do it again. And my propane burners and mill never forgave me.

1 Like

Replied to ya over on da foimintayshin thread…

1 Like

that is a truly glorious cake.

i’m imagining a bunch of lumberjacks sitting around a frilly table eating this cake and drinking tea with their pinkies out!

8 Likes

4 Likes

That’s not the only thing that’s, errrrh, hanging out.

2 Likes

This’ll do. Mess with color palettes to suit your fancy.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I hereby vow to try to make this cake, so help me Sugar-n-Flour!

2 Likes

Yeahhh . . . my sister used to bake cakes that tasted like sawdust. . . .

I don’t think that’s how they did this cake. Note that there’s jelly around all sides of each square. This cake was done by stacking, cutting and re-stacking. My mother used to make tea sandwiches that way.

2 Likes

Yeah, it has to be. Every other method I’ve youtubed in 15 seconds of research wouldn’t give you the layering like that.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the divider is for cutting the cake later, not for baking different coloured batter together in one pan. This way the spacing is more exact and the layers fit together better.

The bark I’m sure is made by making separate chocolate sections and then sticking them to the cake. Like this

1 Like

That’s a fun fantasy! Cake + lumberjack, er, axes.

2 Likes

well… yes… i’m the dude planning on building a conching machine. :smiley:
can’t i express a little wonder now and again? :imp:

2 Likes

Hey Everyone! Liz here, OC (original caker) :slight_smile: It’s really fun reading the comments on how this was created! I did not use a checkerboard pan because I needed more squares than what that pan provides to make a full plaid look. Instead of buying a pan you COULD just become a member on www.sugargeekshow.com for $18 and watch the actual tutorial lol! The bark is not melted chocolate but close :slight_smile: Thanks for all the luv!

4 Likes

Have you explored the How to Cook That youtube channel? It is just a lot of fun.

What’s a conching machine??

1 Like