Lumio: Multi-function lamp disguised as a hardcover book

[Read the post]

1 Like

I have a hard time believing I can live without that gadget, but I have decided I can.

6 Likes

must. resist.

5 Likes

6 Likes

These are so beautiful and they remind me of the opening lines of Craig Raine’s “A Martian Sends A Postcard Home”.

Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings

and some are treasured for their markings–

they cause the eyes to melt

or the body to shriek without pain.

I have never seen one fly, but

sometimes they perch on the hand.

1 Like

They are beautiful, but flawed. I got one as part of the original Kickstarter (maybe it was Indiegogo) project, and it lasted about 6 months with infrequent use. The design of the spine doesn’t work, and eventually several of the skinny spine pieces broke. The USB connector wasn’t well-seated, either, and eventually it was jarred from daily plug-ins until you couldn’t connect to it any longer. I wrote to Lumio to ask if they had a fix for the bad USB connector, and they said “No Buy a New One.” I politely declined, and recently I threw out the whole thing. OK, I kept the magnetic strap. That has no moving parts and still works as adversited.

2 Likes

Possibly inspired by this?

2 Likes

Came here with the same summary. I thought the source was fine as an ambient idea but not very practical for any uses I could think of.

It’s a nice shelf piece as long as you don’t use it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.