Luxury condominium boasts "open concept bathroom" with no walls or doors

They’ve got the tile(?) floor there, around the toilet and the sink, but it just sort of ends with a weird little gap between the sink area and the wall that’s not wide enough to do something non-bathroom with, and then the door of the shower opens up onto the wood. It’s an exceedingly poorly designed bathroom, shoved in a regular room in a way that prevents it from doing anything else anyway.

And:

You had ONE job!
Ok, two jobs, because there’s no towels, either.

16 Likes

I used to* know someone who lived in a house with an “open concept” master ensuite. The nice big jacuzzi tub in the bedroom was kind of a nice touch at least in theory, I thought, like a fancy hotel room or something. The toilet, not so much.

(* - I still know them, but they tore that house down, presumably because it was the only reasonable solution to the toilet placement)

3 Likes

The HomeLight link suggests they first popped up in the US in the homes of the urban rich and famous.
Maybe they’re so that when you OD or stroke out on the john or in the shower, someone else in the house will notice?

2 Likes

Blackadder
“the very latest in front-wall, fresh-air orifice combined with a wide-capacity gutter installation below.”

Mrs Pants
“You mean you crap out of the window?”

11 Likes

Oh, man, my family stayed at a hotel like this once (Best Western Premier NOHO in LA) and it had a lightly frosted glass wall between the bathroom shower (which was huge) and the sleeping area. The only light was from the vanity which very effectively backlit anyone taking a shower.

“Oh, nice, how open and artsy!” No, more like something out of The Human Centipede.

11 Likes

There is a moral to this story, but I can’t find it.

8 Likes

Hm… housing prices are out of control? Expensive houses are badly designed? Badly designed house prices are out of control?
think GIF by Un si grand soleil

17 Likes

This design really stinks.

12 Likes

Prison is about as en suite as you can get, and this is not a lot different. I guess that ambience must be a flavor now.

2 Likes

Do you know what is an open concept bathroom? The woods when I’m camping. The entire reason for a luxury condo is to be as far away from feeling like I’m camping in the woods as possible.

17 Likes

Well if I lived there I would keep that bathroom a lot cleaner than either of my bathrooms are at this moment.

In fact, my entire existence living in that house might be devoted to keeping that bathroom clean.

7 Likes

Oh, maybe it’s a bidet, so you don’t need toilet paper. The actual toilet is in a separate room, for privacy. You just have to walk, er, waddle from one to the other.

:scream:

4 Likes

What the hell. I mean, we have no privacy online. We have no privacy in our homes, thanks to various “smart” devices which spy on us day and night. “Open-plan” bathrooms are just the next logical step!

5 Likes

Also that’s an extraordinary long shower too. You could hand a guest some blankets and a pillow and they could use it as a guest bedroom.

2 Likes

Team building group showers to work out who gets to be comfy in the warm water and who gets to shiver at the back!

4 Likes

“Open concept” anything == cheap-ass bullshit.

6 Likes

The article they link to about the rise of open concept bathrooms gets it a little wrong.
Yes, open concept bathing rooms are a thing. It’s not uncommon to have all the things associated with taking care of your body in one place - sleeping, bathing, maybe even stretching.
In my experience, in those cultures, the place where you get rid of your bodily waste is in a different place. Because it’s kind of a different thing.

Blows my mind that this is what a condo in Jamaica Plains goes for nowadays! Back when I lived in Boston, you could probably buy at least 3 houses for that price.

The lot size is listed as 0.05, so maybe there’s no room? :wink:

Me, too! Between this and that other post about the woman finding a whole extra hidden apartment behind her bathroom mirror, I feel like today’s BB is a set of my odd, uncomfortable dreamscapes made real. Next we’ll be reading about how all our teeth are suddenly loose!

14 Likes

I thought I was the only one that had dreams like that.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was just thinking this was a good day on BB; hidden rooms, explosions, Cephalopods (Two stories!)

2 Likes

From Boston magazine:

That link does not seem to go to Boston Magazine.