Lyft driver kicks racist white woman out of car. She can't believe a white man would do that (video)

I don’t even know him but I love him. I bet he slept well that night despite having encountered such trash in his back seat.

3 Likes

I’m also really impressed with the degree of how he handled it: firmly, and politely, told them he wasn’t going to cooperate. Only really responded in kind when they escalated and started threatening him.

6 Likes

Indeed. I know on an intellectual level that some people still talk like that in 2022 but that’s the kind of slur that my hindbrain always associates with cross-burning bigots from the 1950s.

10 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately, on more than one occasion, I’ve had to tell someone to not ever say the N-word in my presence ever again. And then they start in with the usual suspects of excuses: “I’m not racist, and I don’t mean all Black people, just the ones who are N-Words,” “Oh come on, really? Are you telling me you’ve never said that?” “Oh I didn’t mean it like that,” “Well Black people say it all the time, but I can’t? That’s racist.”

This assumption by white racists that any white person they come across is also going to think like they do is the biggest reason why we need to speak up when they say this kind of shit when only other white people are around. They honestly think a majority of white people agree with them. They need to realize that’s not true. If someone says or does something like this and you say nothing because you want to avoid a confrontation, then you are complicit and are making the problem worse.

15 Likes

You don’t get out much do you?

Recent visits to Charleston, SC and Cape Hatteras, NC confirm it’s popular use in public discourse in 2022.

3 Likes

in my opinion she was not a magnetic personality… either

The way she pats him on the shoulder, like “you’re one of us” - shudder

6 Likes

IKR?! I immediately thought
Michelle Obama ewwww
and that he’d probably wash that shirt & bathe as soon as he got home.

4 Likes

+1 for Letterkenny

Friend GIF by Crave

4 Likes

5 Likes

I mostly concur, but I will say sometimes it can be unsafe to speak up. If people find themselves in that situation, “gray rocking” them can be effective over time. Just become completely uninterested and unresponsive when they start talking like that. If it’s someone you are forced to share space with regularly (like family, say) this does work.
Again, I have the privilege of being able to speak up, but for those who don’t, “going along with it” isn’t the only other option.

That got me, too. Just, unwanted touching shouldn’t be something drivers have to put up with, either.

7 Likes

One of the many reasons I made a bee-line out of that part of the country. Hearing things like that and looking around to realize you’re the only person who isn’t numb (or doesn’t care…or worse agrees) is pretty alienating.

3 Likes

Go to the Yelp page for Fossils Last Stand. The public is not amused. (I sure hope they are the owners.)

3 Likes

Yelp’s going to wait for all that to die down and then revoke all the reviews from before this started by one day forward. So… Yelp’s just performative art right now.

2 Likes

I think it is because a lot of people in high places now speak such tings boldly as well if cloaked in fancier words.

1 Like

more of this please. more white people calling out the racists assholes, and standing up for our fellow humans.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.