Racist Karen embarrasses friends as she abuses Uber driver: "Go back to Asia"

Originally published at: Racist Karen embarrasses friends as she abuses Uber driver: "Go back to Asia" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

This appears to be a dude who values the possibility of getting laid significantly more than racist behavior or the lack of moral integrity of his date.

20 Likes

In before the first oh-so-concerned citizen rushes to decry the use of the name Karen as a nickname for over-privileged White women who weaponize their White privilege.

39 Likes

Vibe I’m getting:

Long history with the Karen (possibly in a relationship). All 3 of them have been drinking.

This will put stress on whatever relationship the fella had with the Karen.

Guy is at least attempting to do the right thing. If I am in a similar situation with someone I’ve known for a long time, I probably would also do damage control instead of totally bailing (at first). If this was just a date situation, totally different calculus. (Listen, it’s been fun, but Imma get my own cab.)

16 Likes

Has it ever happened that a POC has suddenly started berrating a random white driver in this way, screaming about how honkeys and crackers are ruining the country and should go back to Europe?

I really can’t imagine that ever happening, except as a parody of white people.

30 Likes

Drunk Trumpers - you can dress them up, but you can’t take them out.

17 Likes

There’s a vid somewhere of a woman of color* acting an ass towards the driver, as well as a different vid of gay Latino dude* being a jerk to his respective driver - but acting a fool like this seems to mainly be the purview of those who lack melanin.

*Both assholes in question faced negative consequences from their shitty behavior; the woman was banned from both Uber and Lyft, and the man was fired from his job.

19 Likes

“I apologize to anyone whose feelings may have been hurt. This is not who I am.”

17 Likes

Looks like they were at a wedding or some kind of formal event where women would be holding bouquets of flowers. She could literally be a sister or aunt for all I know. Personally, I’m not going to hold a sexist expectation that as a man he’s somehow responsible for controlling the behavior of women around him for good or ill nor that expectation of sexual gratification is the only reason a man might be in an uber with a couple of women. He’s not responsible for her drunk racist outburst.

43 Likes

Yeah, any group of people has its share of assholes (and racists), but its the entitlement of claiming ownership of a whole damn country/continent and telling a stranger to leave that seems uniquely white

25 Likes

I hear ya.

15 Likes

“I’m gonna get these broads out of your way”
I feel for him, but :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Yeah, the sympathy really should be reserved for the driver.

21 Likes

Absolutely, and it’s a sense of entitlement that also includes thinking of cops as good guys who would never harm you. Which is a mostly realistic sense, as exemplified by @Melizmatic’s story summaries above.

15 Likes

I wasn’t sympathizing with the guy so much as speculating about his motivations. But, fun fact, human beings are capable of sympathy for more than one person at a time, in varying proportions.

10 Likes

You can set your watch by it.

6 Likes

That train is never late.

19 Likes

Would you really look forward to having that woman become an angry, bitter ex? I think he may now be looking for a less conspicuous exit.

4 Likes

I mean - he may not have handled it perfectly - but he clearly wasn’t approving and was attempting to both apologize, rein in his associate, and get her to stop.

Kinda assuming a lot that he was in a relationship with her.

12 Likes

Emphasis on was…

4 Likes