Lyft said their names are offensive. Candice Poon, Cara Dick, and Mike Finger disagree

Heywood Jablome seems to have snuck through.

(“Excuse me, that’s pronounced Ja-blo-me”)

7 Likes

Yeah, I have a mononymic friend also: has a whole bunch of skills that most of us do not have for dealing with Social Security, credit card companies, etc.

That said: We get to dictate the appropriateness of your culture and identity seems spot-on colonizing mindset to me.

5 Likes

BEIJING — “Ma,” a Chinese character for horse, is the 13th most common family name in China, shared by nearly 17 million people. That can cause no end of confusion when Mas get together, especially if those Mas also share the same given name, as many Chinese do.
Ma Cheng’s book-loving grandfather came up with an elegant solution to this common problem. Twenty-six years ago, when his granddaughter was born, he combed through his library of Chinese dictionaries and lighted upon a character pronounced “cheng.” Cheng, which means galloping steeds, looks just like the character for horse, except that it is condensed and written three times in a row.
The character is so rare that once people see it, Miss Ma said, they tend to remember both her and her name. That is one reason she likes it so much.
That is also why the government wants her to change it.

So much more poignant than the other example in the article: “赵 C.” (“Zhao C”).

3 Likes

I’m surprised they use real names at all. Could set up a driver for a stalker.
Disney uses first name only and even then they can’t have overlap and you have to pick up another name tag if say 'Chris" is working the same area and your name is also Chris.

Also, my doordash drivers name was Crystal M

2 Likes

Roseanne Roseanna Danna approves!

But wait, Herb Hannah? What am I missing?

5 Likes

I couldn’t figure that one out either. Well, I mean I’d try to avoid giving my child the initials HH, but most people don’t go by their initials so it’s probably not a big deal.

1 Like

What if I told you that everything in our minds is made up?

whoa. That’s deep, man

hand_fingers

2 Likes

Herb and Anna Hannah

1 Like

Wouldn’t I feel strangely compelled to answer in an interrogative form, and invite you over to play in the Questions topic?

Alternate reply:
“Made up”, you say?!? I didn’t even know we were having a fight! :wink:

1 Like

It’s just the “Dick” part. He’s probably included because his name is generally more associated with his old day job of being “Mad [Magazine’s] Maddest Writer”, than as a generic wang joke.

2 Likes

F*ck im laughing so hard right now :joy:

I knew I guy named Seymour who changed his last name to Muchmore. The combination of which I like much more (heh) than that one, even if it’s not naughty.

2 Likes

It is if you say it right.

3 Likes

She should have changed it by deed poll to Hercock. (But not Hancock.)

1 Like

What’s this, a GIF for ants?
It has to be at least three times bigger than this!

2 Likes

Let’s just get the original video

4 Likes

Thanks- everything else were puns and I was trying my best to fit “DeBartolo” into something!

3 Likes