Macklemore shares thoughts on 'Thrift Shop' on its 10-year anniversary: it's 'like the anti-flex'

Originally published at: Macklemore shares thoughts on 'Thrift Shop' on its 10-year anniversary: it's 'like the anti-flex' | Boing Boing

6 Likes

ten years? TEN? i still love this song to death. as a life-long thrifter, it just captures ALL the reasons why i thrift. i even made it into a ringtone for my phone, lol. now i wanna go pop some tags.

14 Likes

Just been enjoying the new track No Bad Days, and the video directed by his daughter.

3 Likes

I LOVED this song when it first came on. Super super catchy.

I’m pretty sure I can blame BoingBoing for my intro.

2 Likes

This song was the perfect anecdote to all those hip hop songs celebrating vapid consumerism or even cutting secret sponsorship deals to drop brand names in song lyrics.

Hip hop can encompass a lot of things, but I like it best when it’s challenging the powers that be (like government or corporate interests) instead of cheerleading them. Even when those challenges are packaged in silly ways.

4 Likes

I think I love it!

Can’t help thinking of

She wore a
Raspberry beret
The kind you find in a second hand store
Raspberry beret
And if it was warm she wouldn’t wear much more
Raspberry beret
I think I love her

[In case that needs a reference… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7vRSu_wsNc]

Ah, I still miss that really great pair of shorts I got for $1 at the Goodwill in St Paul in…oh…1977 or so. Wore them for years until they were completely worn out.

4 Likes

I lived in Seattle when this dropped and loved that he actually shot it in some of the classic thrift and second hand shops around town. I’ve never known whether it was the time or place, but never have the Thrift Store Gods been kinder to me than during these years.

6 Likes

I used to be piss-poor and only able to afford to shop in thrift stores. Honestly, I didn’t feel too great about it, but when this song dropped, it was suddenly cool.
Now I can afford brand clothes, but I still do a lot of my shopping at thrift stores.

As a side note, I pretty much stopped listening to hip hop once I outgrew my teenage years.
This song played a big part in rekindling my interest in hip hop, especially alt hip hop.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.